Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Winter Break Camp GiGi

Week one of 2018 was a Camp Gigi week.  I met my daughter halfway or so and we switched vehicles...her SUV packed with 4 of the 5 grandkids and all sorts of their stuff to survive winter at GiGi and PaPa's for a few days.  

It was a good time. We were under a snow deluge that kept us from actually going anywhere except out in the snow.  The youngest girl was not a big fan of the snow.  This meant I spent a lot of the time shooing the bigger kids out in all their gear and staying inside carrying the 3-year-old from window to window, following the older kids as they went from snow bank to snow bank, encouraging her to fall in love with winter play…not successfully. So, it didn’t go exactly as planned, but, it brought the grandkids together here, gave their parents a bit of a break, gave them a bit of a break and I hope, created some memories.  I survived numerous cups of hot chocolate, enough marshmallows to choke a horse, and only three major spills.  Those came on one day, within about two hours of each other and only slightly tested GiGi's patience and good humor.  

I am in a county in Indiana that is known for its lake effect snow.  Ten miles away could have zero snow and we’ll have a foot of the fluffy stuff.  I am really not kidding when I say snow deluge.  The week of Camp GiGi, initially projected for an  “accumulation of 1” to 3” possible”, drastically changed to dumping 24” to 30” of snow.  Yes, that’s right…30” of snow in about 3 days.  It is magical, yes, and beautiful to be sure, but, come on.
 
The good news was there was little to no wind so there was no drifting, the roads were very clear, considering the amount of snow.  Secondly, it remained super cold and the snow remained light and powdery and fun.  It did trash the ice on the lake so our planned skating was a bust, but, the days of snow without end really went very well.  I had planned a family gathering for skating and brunch.  Skating was out but snow play and brunch was in.  We had a great time together, as we usually do, eating way too much and enjoying each other’s company.

Now, the kids are back in school, the parents are back at work…we are back in our routine.  I look forward to 2018 and trying a new program for staying organized called Bullet Journaling.  You can find out more about it at bulletjournal.com  I am going to incorporate budgeting into this format, too.  This time next year both hubs and I will be retired and our income significantly reduced…I have some lofty goals for 2018, and am spending this next few days setting up the format and our budget.  Have also made the Christmas returns I needed to make and scheduled some medical appointments that have been looming.  Reminding myself again of my word (see last week’s post) 2018 has begun and I am in with INTENT! 



No comments:

Post a Comment