Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Skip over the parts you don't like.

Many of you may be wondering, as am I, when our renovation project is going to be complete.  There are days when I think the answer may be “uh, never”, but, all good things come in time and this project is becoming good, maybe even great.  Another couple weeks and we will at least be closed in for the upcoming chilly fall and winter…siding remains the question of the year.  “What color again?” followed by “Have you ordered that yet?” are the big conversations going on around here.

Don't even get started on the kitchen.  Oh, it will get done, but, it’s going to be a few more weeks before we get there.  Last week was a complete overhaul of the flooring decision…for the second time.  Now settled on an “engineered hardwood” instead of real hardwood, we can begin to think about that kitchen layout AGAIN and make the tough call on what Cindi gets to keep and what Cindi has to lose.

Just this morning I read an article on how to decorate a mantle for Halloween and squealed thinking about how next year, (yes I hoped it would be this year, but guess not) I would be decorating a mantle for Halloween! However, the ideas I have going on in my head for decorating the porch of the shed would make even a ghoul quiver. 
 
Folks, I am not a political person.  Have been on the fringes of politics and been in political situations a few times, times when jobs are more political than they seem or should be, if you know what I mean.  You know, I have weighed the “political answer” many times before speaking and regretted not weighing the political answer many times before speaking.  Because I am not a party politician or person behind the scenes, or with my name on any ballot, I tried to learn as much as I could about the inner workings of politics and elections….not the party stuff but more, how does this machine all work?  I like to understand what it’s about from the bottom up. I asked a lot of questions.  My favorite thing at election time is to visit the courthouse and watch the ballot boxes come in.  Why not? It’s my courthouse! It’s my election, I want to see what’s going on.  It’s a lot less modern that what you may think, let me tell you.  
 
So, here’s what I know.  I am disappointed and disgruntled and confused, too.  But, and this is big…don’t stay home on November 8.  Your vote for president is less impactful in your day to day than your vote for your local offices.  Don’t cast a vote for president if you feel you can’t, but vote for your school board members, your senator and representative…whoever is on your ballot where you live, please, vote in your local and state elections.  THIS is where you find your voice, this is where you have connection and can be made to feel victorious, heard, understood.  For goodness sakes, don’t throw out the baby with the bath water, as the old saying goes.  You want to feel like you are heard? Vote for your representative, your senator, your county commissioner, your judge...however those offices look for you where you live, vote for your candidate (and yes that means not your party).

So, think it over, talk to some folks, read up on some things and go to your polls on that Tuesday.   

No comments:

Post a Comment