Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Yoga pants and pot roast.

I am not declaring any kind of independence, but, I do hold these truths to be self-evident: that a petite woman in her 60s can never own too many pairs of black, legging yoga pant type things.  Or, at least, that’s what my laundry pile spoke this morning.  It’s funny, last week I couldn’t lay my hands on a pair of black yoga pant things and this morning, they are everywhere.  I had no idea I owned so many, and really, let’s face it, some would say I have no business owning any.

Oh well, not out to make any impressions on folks, so stretchy legging yoga type pants it is..again.
Can I be honest and share a pet peeve? I mean, this one is right at the top of my pet peeve list.
When perusing the internet this morning through some recipe sites, I came across a crock pot recipe.  Sounds delicious, easy and something hubs would go for.  Now, since I am in the middle of construction around here and have zero if any counter space for food prep, the crock pot comes in pretty handy…until the dust starts to fly.  Then nothing is handy and cooking involves heating up the car engine to go get a pizza or a hamburger.   Anyway, my pet peeve comes in the comments posted below most recipes.  They irritate me.
Case in point, recipe for a simmered roast and calls for mayonnaise, butter, apple cider vinegar some herbs, that kind of thing, and the roast.  Author of the column states it’s delicious and so on.  The comments such as “this was delicious! I substituted blah, blah, blah and instead of blank, I used blanket blank blank.  Then I ….”.  That’s where I go off track.
No.  That is not the recipe.  That is not the post, you are not the author of the article, you are not a chef or a food critic.  What you are reviewing is nowhere near the recipe that was published, so please, stop.   Write your own article, create your own recipe and submit it to a panel of judges to be published in some great spot, like this morning’s post, for example, the New York Times.
This is when I need to breathe.  To take a step back and say to myself “Hey, try the posted recipe, let them try it, tweak it, turn it…it’s okay.” Maybe readers enjoy seeing what others have to say about changing the recipe.  Maybe you are too literal,  Cindi Lou,  and need to take a time out.  Yeah, put on your stretchy yoga pants and take a breath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment