Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Days of love.

After a particularly horrific national event on October 1 of this year I began posting a “days of love” on Facebook. Pretty much without fanfare or announcement,  I wanted only to post reasons for us to love, to feel love, to give love, to just love.  I have posted pictures on my timeline of kids, dogs, nature, my kitchen, coffee cups, crab cakes.  Everything, from minor to major, of love.
 
A few years ago there was this big push, I think because of something Oprah, or one of her guests, said, to keep a gratitude journal.  Before long, there were journals, books, devotional readings all centered around gratitude.   I wonder how many of us are still keeping those journals? Those lists? Are we sufficiently grateful now, ten years or so down the road?  I occasionally see reflections of gratitude posted on social media, mostly around Thanksgiving, but are we no longer thinking of gratitude daily? Or did we train our minds to center on gratitude so well that now we don’t have to be purposeful? Those that went through that exercise and made those lists are caught up, so to speak?

I have a confession.  I didn’t do a gratitude journal or list, or a page a day calendar.  It’s not that I wasn’t grateful at the time, or that I’m not grateful now…it’s more like procrastination on my part or even (I am reluctant here, but transparent) disorganization, apathy, laziness…a possibility of any one or a number of those traits.

I have never been much of a joiner, or a trend/fad follower.  I have been isolated and independent,  a loner, an observer.  May be because of the childhood traveling thing,  but,  I am not the first to volunteer, or contribute…I am a hand sitter.  So while many were expressing their gratitude and seemingly taking pleasure and satisfaction from doing so, I sat on my hands. 

When the attitude of gratitude campaign was underway, we were not on Facebook.  There was no daily sharing of our item of gratitude that day, so it was very much a personal list.  Maybe we spoke it to each other in conversations; we were also encouraged to express our gratitude of a person to him or her, so we shared it to some extent with each other.

I started posting my “days of love” on my Facebook timeline in response to some awful stuff. I post a picture or comment daily on Facebook because I’ve set myself out there as a writer, as someone who shares. For this non-joiner, non-fad follower to share a post of love, to expose my heart and raise my hand …it is a bit of a big deal.  I appreciate, very much, those of you who have sent me messages of support, of encouragement, and even of gratitude. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment