Monday, December 13, 2010

December stuff

My holidays as a kid were a little different than my holidays now.  Since we were often quite far away from where my mom’s family lived in southern Illinois or my dad’s family in northern Indiana, there was often just the five of us.
We lived in a trailer most of my childhood..oh, excuse me. I meant mobile home.  The first one was tiny ~ 8 feet wide and 40 feet long.  I don’t have a lot of memories of this one, just the fuzzy few photographs and snippets.  The next mobile home was 10 feet by 50 feet.  My parents referred to it as “The Anderson” years later; the manufacturer.   
I don’t have a lot of things from my childhood as, well, you can imagine. There was no place to keep anything! I may have a report card or two and maybe a drawing.   I think my mom may have bought new Christmas decorations every year or something, until I was older, because I don’t remember decorations being pulled out and hung with great care.  This might speak to my yen for collecting things, although clutter is getting less and less attractive to me.  
When we were close enough to get there, we would travel to my mom’s hometown at Christmas.   My mom had been married before she met my dad and had two boys.  Those two brothers lived with my grandmother, so in order to spend the holidays with them, we traveled when we could.  I had a uncle, named Dude, with three daughters close in age to my sister and I.  We really loved visiting them.  My Aunt May and Uncle Dude would get a huge “flocked” tree every year and I thought it was the most glamorous thing ever.  It was so much bigger and grander than anything we could put up in the little trailer.  My mom’s sister and family often traveled up from Florida as well...they also had two girls close in age to us.  I just realized my younger brother, always a “man’s man”, must have been mortified during these visits!   
These memories are busting through the cobwebs of my mind this blustery December day.  I get a little sad during some of these memory walks, as I think most of us do, when we think of times we no longer have.  I don’t have contact with any of my cousins.  I don’t know their families or their homes.  We never made a solid connection with each other, I guess because we only saw each other those one or two times a year, if then.  Each of my uncles passed away, and their wives, and I wasn’t at their funerals.  My older brother Darrell lives the closest to the old town, and is in contact with what remains of my mom’s family, but, that is also a thinning thread.  
Yesterday, surrounded by aunts,  uncles, cousins and a great grandmother, my little granddaughter made her first Christmas cut out cookie.  She heard Happy Birthday sung to her by her large family.  She ran and giggled and dodged and played.  She heard laughter and banter, and licked sugar off of her sticky fingers.  It was a great cookie and memory making day.  I wish the same for each of you...make memories. 

7 comments:

  1. Dear Cindi,

    One of the hardest things we ever have to do in ours lives is admit that at some point (especially in our childhood) they might not have been perfect. Oh how we long to be like that Norman Rockwell family or that Thomas Kincade picture. But truth be known, that less than perfect time makes us something better: it makes us Real! And therefore our compassion and understanding for others is heightened and magnified. Thank you for opening up and sharing in such an enlightening manner the stories about the less than perfect times in your life. You have an amazing family, and that is also attributable to the fact that you are an amazing person! Where you are right now is a time of empowerment! Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thanks for that dear friend. I hope I haven't given a wrong impression as I didn't think my childhood was less than perfect ~ after all, what did I have to compare it to? It was just different, I found out later, than what a lot of people had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, and for the other less than perfect times in my life..whew...working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindi:
    Thank you for sharing with us your stories, of you, of life, and things that matter.
    I loved what you said about your life was "just different", funny how we seem to think that all of us came from the same cookie cutter family.
    Now that Kai is in our lives, I realize just how different our lives would be if one decision were made differently.
    Kai is soo loved, and has such a huge family now, it's like she just fell into this big world of Love. Had Penny not met Adam, I don't know what her life would have been like, but different, maybe good maybe not.
    But I sure love knowing that our grandchildren have family, and that they are two loved on little girls.
    Love your writing, thank you for giving us the gift of your words.
    Carolyn , you know I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, well, that ending didn't turn out quite like I had in mind. I guess I should have put CAROLYN. You know I love you Cindy. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cindi! Miss working with you!! But I wanted to let you know though, how much I enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for sharing the piece of yourself and your words, I really love your writing. I have seen my family going through cycles and evolving as well, also having the large family and lots of cousins on my mother's family that we saw 3-5 times a year, but now I have very little connection with. And yet my grandchildren have begun the next generation of my immediate family, which once seemed small, just the 5 of us, to now being a loud, noisy crowd at my parents' home with their grandchildren and bringing spouses/significant others and having children. It is interesting to reflect on those changes and the part they played in our lives. Keep up the great writing! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Beth!!! Great to hear from you!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete