Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Spacey

The space exhibit at the art center where I work is coming down next week ~ it's been up since January and leaves March 11.  I'll miss it.  We have had about 700 school children visit this last two months, the center is often alive with little voices.  


The great thing about our center is that it is both art gallery and art education.  There are classes there almost every day and we have a close relationship with Michiana Industries and Social Learning.  We host social events and sponsor the summer art festival, which is in its 35th year.  It's an all around great place. 


I hope more of my friends and family are exposed to art in their community this year.  Whether its coming to see our center or another location, expose yourself to some art.  Last week, we had a young man playing his cello in the gallery which houses the Earth from Space exhibit and it was awesome.  To have the music and the images together.  Well, now, awesome is a word but it's not even close ~ it was goose bumpily.  


I remember being hesitant to visit something I was not familiar with...an art gallery? Okay, I'll give it a shot.  It made me apprehensive.  What if I don't look like everyone else? What if I don't fit in? But art, and art education, is for everyone.  Even you. 


Our local media did a fabulous job, along with our director of marketing, of getting the word out to people about this exhibit and we have seen many new faces.  It's great to hear the "Wow" and "I had no idea this was here".  


My center is supported by donations and grants...not taxpayer money.  We have a membership opportunity as well, with members receiving a couple of little perks for their investment.   Shameless plug.  However, if you are looking for a worthy not for profit to donate to, or want to support art education in your county, let me know and I'll get you some information.  


Come see us at Lubeznik Center for the Arts before space moves on; or come see us when the circus sideshow exhibit goes up in about a week! Long live the arts! 

1 comment:

  1. It is an awesome place to see! I wish it was easier to get to for us so I could see all of the exhibits. I really wanted to see that medical one upstairs!

    ReplyDelete