Sunday, January 17, 2010

Out of the basement.

Like a lot of you, I am trying to get my office organized and preparing for filing my taxes and that kind of thing. I decided to get a labeler so I can be even more organized -looking. I don’t profess to actually be organized but the labeler might help, and its way fun and cute.

When I decided to begin working from home, my first office was located in the basement. I am sure a lot of home offices are located in basements, and I don’t want to sound like I don’t think its a great space. But, I spent the last 13 years in a building without windows in our office. I decided shortly after being home, and after realizing that I was going to be okay with my new found career, that I needed windows. Upstairs to the guest room I went.

It took a little muscle, and some rearranging of “stuff” but I really enjoy my office/guest room. I have more plans but for the time being, its just about as good as it can get. I never really pictured myself working from home and there have been adjustments for sure. It is less money...hence the no frills as described in an earlier post. But, that’s balanced out by spending less money on a day to day basis, on who knows what. Particularly in gas and can I get an Amen.

It is less people interaction, though, and that’s not always what suits me best. I enjoy hearing special stories that people will share if you only take the time to ask, to listen. What is VERY cool is that for one of my contracts, I talk to people from all around the U.S. and Canada, sometimes Europe. I have had some excellent conversations and have learned some really interesting things. For example, I talked to a guy one night who lived in the Canadian Arctic in a town that was spelled with a lot of “N”s and “U”s. Do you know how north that is? How many of us have talked to a guy in the Canadian Arctic? I can’t imagine a situation I would have been in prior to 2008 that would have put me in touch with someone in the Canadian Arctic! Crazy. Read up on that slice of the globe - I took the time and learned some very interesting facts and characteristics. Like for example, that region has caused Canada to become one of the top 3 diamond producers in the world. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment