Sunday, January 10, 2010

To get this going...a little about why...

For one day in the fall of 2008, and again in 2009, there have been bluebirds in my yard. Just one day. I live with woods on one side of my house and a recreational lake on the other side. I have a wonderfully fantastic view out my window, and see many birds and wildlife. However, bluebirds do not come here...this is not an open field! Which, I have learned, is more their typical haunt. I have lived on this same piece of land for over 30 years ~ in the fall of 2008 my window revealed those swift, little, bright bluebirds for the first time.

Not just one bluebird either. Probably 100. Everywhere. Fast, swooping, flitting...on the ground, in the trees, in the air. I stood watching for several minutes. Then, I tried to get a picture..they were just too fast. I fled from window to window - I went outside, I went back inside. I went outside. Who do I call? How long will they stay? Will you please just stay there for one second while I get this picture? Digital cameras, especially cheap ones, have very slow shutters I learned. Too slow for the bluebird, that's for sure. "Oh my!" and "Oh goodness!!" "OH MY!" I couldn't believe it. I was stunned and thrilled. It just made me happy. While I did not break out into "Zippity Do Dah" I felt like I could.

My life has brought many surprises, as I am sure everyone's has. Some of my surprises were painful and harsh, and some, like the bluebirds, thrilling and totally unexpected. I am so grateful I was home to see them. If my life had not taken a harsh and painful turn, I wouldn't have been here to see those thrilling and unexpected little bluebirds. I decided to undertake a blog that, I hope, is fun to read for everyone but also as a connection for women and men working out of their homes, whether it be as a stay-at-home mom or dad, or customer service rep, technical support technician, graphic designer, web developer, journalist, editor, programmer, real estate agent, life coach, caregiver or a domestic engineer and the list goes on. People like me that need a bit of a connection but so enjoy being able to see the view their window offers. So I'm looking out...thank you for looking in.

2 comments:

  1. I love this Cindi! You are a great writer! And that's a perfect first post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Have you heard about the Tonagel's fox in their backyard? We thought they were making it up till we finally saw pictures. hee hee... Thanks for giving us a window into your life. Looking forward to all your posts.
    a

    ReplyDelete