Monday, March 1, 2010

Its true what they say, one of the worst things about working from home is the discipline it takes to stick to the plan. To keep the paperwork organized and the business running smoothly.

I had to take several steps to establish myself as an independent contractor in order to begin working with the clients I now provide services. The first, to have a business name. Now this is not something that I had ever considered in my “previous life” but I went with my name. Some people include something like “virtual services” in their business name or phrases that hold special meaning to them. My feeling is that should I ever need to advertise, I’m easy to find by my name rather than something clever...I’m already in the phone book. I just went basic. For those of you who know me, that probably isn’t surprising.

I also had to get the standard office equipment and tools. I have upgraded two computers, have a separate telephone line and a few other pieces and parts to prepare this to be a well-oiled machine. And don’t forget my way cute labeler. Bottom line, yes, there was start up money.

Handling the paperwork has been a challenge. Managing my schedule, instead of it managing me, has also been a bit of work. When I am done with what I have scheduled for the day, I walk away from it. That’s difficult and has often had me racing from one errand to another as I try to juggle my free time. Its been two years but I am finally starting to feel like I am in a flow, and am top of the pile instead of piled on.

I know a lot of young mothers and others would like to work from home, believing it to be an answer, and it can be, but it isn’t easy and it won’t work for everyone. The idea that you can do it all, put in a quick half hour here or there, just doesn’t work out. It takes the time investment, the time management, that all “jobs” take. I also have no small children to think about and no barking dogs. That's a home office killer.

It takes dedication and flexibility and it takes being able to say no.

That’s been a hard one for me. Saying no, my plate is full. No, that’s not something that I can take on right now. No, you are nice and I see you are in a bind, but that doesn’t mean I can allow myself to be in a bind. No, I just don’t want to. No, I realize that to some it must mean that I have all the free time in the world because I work from home, but I am a professional business owner and have a commitment and contracts to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment