Sunday, February 21, 2010

Simple fix

I was given a lovely colored glass vase from my son and his girlfriend, made by a local artist neighbor of theirs. I love that vase and could hardly wait to see the sunlight through it as it held a small bouquet of flowers. As soon as the holiday decorations were put away the vase became the go to container for a few bouquets over the last few weeks, all of which I have picked up here or there while out running errands. Flowers have brought color to a long winter, and everyone in the house enjoys seeing the deep purple glass reflect on the shiny oak finish of the dining room table.

I gave up on the “rosey” idea of receiving flowers years ago. Not that I didn’t drop plenty of hints and many descriptions of the kinds of flowers I like. I realized I was wasting an awful lot of time and a dose of emotion waiting on flowers. Its funny how when you are growing up, things just hit you. Why wait for a gift of flowers? If I want flowers, and I have five dollars, I’m getting flowers. I don’t really see it as giving myself a “gift” nor do I have any “loves me, loves me not” attachment to it. I like flowers on the table, that's pretty much what it is. Sometimes we wait for others to do something it is perfectly fine to do ourselves. As a young wife, I waited on flowers. As a young husband, he just didn’t get why, although he did understand he best not drag an iron, a skillet or a vacuum cleaner in and call it a “gift”. As an old wife, if I want flowers, they are on the table. Simple fix.

5 comments:

  1. An excellent lesson I've learned from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go out and buy what you like anytime ! At the end of the day you have pull in what you want or it will pass you by. I found that the thought is what counts for most. But we give little credit to the time one spends with us. While out in the world some are just trying to get back home asap with no thought of anything else. Waiting on others is like waiting on the bus. Mix bag of nuts. But I am a realisic type. Ok back to you Cindi on the spot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!

    Also, I was just noticing today how the South Shore station in Chicago always has fresh flowers in the bathroom. It makes it SO much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brady, thank you for reading my blog! Thank all of you for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply put is the way you type it girlie. Keep up the great writing. Like all good works of art molding it to perfection. Lisa

    ReplyDelete