Monday, February 1, 2010

Let me drive.

Ah, to be flexible.

And no, this is not a post about New Year’s Resolution #39...to get in better shape. I’m talking about turning on a dime, changing the view, changing the mood, changing ideas, changing goals. But, I’m talking about controlled flexibility.

Is that an oxymoron? I looked up a list of oxymorons and there were some favorites listed - easy labor, adult children, harmless lie, head butt. Head butt? Now that made me giggle. But, controlled flexibility didn’t make the list.

I’ll share a story my dad told once after driving home from an extended trip with one of my older brothers. Dad was asleep in the passenger seat and was awakened by the rumble strip noise, you know the one. Terror, right? My brother had also drifted to sleep and drove off the road. Things had to change, and fast. Dad looked over at him and calmly said, “Well, drive us outta this one, son.”

These days sort of remind me of that story. I'm not an economist but it seems like things have been a bit too flexible, and we're working towards some control. Personally, I'm working on controlled flexibility. Flexible enough to change direction, and make a new plan, tweak it when it needs it. But I also want to be controlled enough to work that plan, to get back on track, ready and willing, to drive outta this one.

1 comment:

  1. The stories are getting gritter. We need your intake on life daily. So idea how about a dear diary with your take on it. But maybe collage of it weekly. I think your views are amusable, enjoyable as they are factable. PS you look like your avator !

    ReplyDelete