Friday, February 12, 2010

Rolling.

So, its started. It was barely noticeable at first. About a year ago, a check out person at Kroger called me “honey”. It gave me pause, but I rolled with it. The next week or so, and since then, I’ve had some nice smiles and some more “honey” comments. Alright, that’s friendly. I’m a southerner from years back, I can take a “honey” now and then.

Then, I started to notice a little extra smiling here and there. Some extra “Oh, excuse me” every once in a while. Okay, gee, return to courtesy. That's nice. I'll roll with that, too.

Yesterday, it dawned on me there was more to the change in my co-shopper's behavior after a young woman, coming out of a check out lane, again at Kroger, made an obvious and definite stop and pulled back on her cart. Smiling at me, in a mildly exaggerated manner, she just stood there while I smiled back and moved ahead. As I walked, briskly I might add, with a spring in my step, to my car it hit me! “Oh my word! The huge purse, glasses sliding down my nose, the chicken neck, the disheveled grey hair! She thinks I’m a little old lady!”

At first, I thought I would cry. I do that! I defer to little old ladies! I wait, I motion them on, I help them find their car in the parking lot! OH.MY.WORD.

Then I thought, what the heck...I’ll roll with it.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I loved that post, probably because I can relate to it. I've noticed periodically being treated/looked at differently by others because of my age, sigh..... guess I better get good at rolling with it.

    ReplyDelete