Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Cow manure anyone?

Today is one of those gloomy days.  One that makes you think there is no such thing as the sun or bright colors, and draws you to stay snuggled in a big bed with fluffy covers. 
Snap out of it.  
There’s always something to do, even on these gloomy days.  Today, for example, I looked down near the lakeshore to where I have a couple small flower boxes.  I weeded these boxes over the weekend.  I also took advantage of the cooler, sunny day and dumped out the garden cart, cleaned off some tools, emptied a couple of cow manure bags, black dirt bags and the like of the dredges that remained,  laid things out on the lawn to “dry out”.   Inventoried what I had left over,  what I might need to purchase.  Nearly full cow manure bag, full bag of top soil.  That will be enough for some other small projects near the house.  Set those aside, tool caddy empty and shaken out, animal nest of at least two pair of my jersey work gloves thrown out...need new gloves.  Left the garden cart, one of my favorite things, in the sunshine to receive some air and for the dirt clods to dry so I could easily sweep it.
This morning, naturally, I looked down to where my garden cart is left in the field, its sunny spot replaced by a torrent of rain.  I did not want my garden cart to get wet, to become swollen with moisture! I did not want my tools to be strewn about, now near floating as the rain creates puddles in my yard, to become rusty and gross.   I certainly did not want the plastic bag of cow manure, with an ever so small opening, to turn into heavy liquid mush.   Why oh why is it raining again today? 
Find some rubber sandals, tredge down to the lakeside, attempt to empty the cart of standing water, pull it, yank it, through my now soaking yard; would have been much easier yesterday, when it was dry and breezy.  Into the barn, where I have been left no room to roll my cart in and out, but squeeze it in after turning it on its end, banging against my shin only twice.  If I were a cartoon character, and somedays I think I am, I would have one of those bubbles with @#&%#$@ above my drenched head.  
Faced now with the heavily laden cow manure and top soil issue, the assortment of tools, empty pots and what was once  fertilizer granules, I hear thunder and I chuck whatever plan I had brewing for salvaging what I could.   Eh, it will be there tomorrow, having left  big yellow patches in my lawn, but I’ll get my garden cart out and go load that stuff up. 

1 comment:

  1. Yup... this is the spring that Rain Wins! we are so at its mercy every time we turn around! thanks for your thoughts... gotta laugh through it, I guess.

    ReplyDelete