Monday, September 29, 2014

These weekend days are full to overflowing.  With the great weather has come some real work in the yard and the inside of my house is showing a bit of neglect as we spend these last golden days outside. I try not to think about it as I know there are days ahead when staying inside is the only option. 

Feeling a little overwhelmed with the woods, I called my sister-in-law over to sit on the steps with me a bit and brainstorm my landscaping. She has spent more time in these woods than I and knows the history. I invited my neighbor over to sit on the steps and brainstorm a bit as she sees directly into our woods.  Both these ladies have completely different aesthetics than each other, as well as different than mine, and I wanted to hear their thoughts, ideas, answer questions, ask questions.

After walking the yard with my sister-in-law and discussing first goals, I transplanted a small Japanese Maple tree to an area to get more sun and I began planning an arbor using removed tree limbs and small trees.  I thinned out more maple saplings and fed the transplanted rhododendron starts.  Hubs has a plan for part of the area where the rhododendron had been so I began to think that over.  I started parking on this side of the house, to get a feel for making that change.

I looked at the woods and the yard with renewed vision and a slightly different mindset as the weekend drew to a close.  I've watched the sunlight move across these woods this morning and it is nothing short of spectacular.  This is already a haven, and I don't wish to overthink it or overwork it, but I will care for it, manage it and maybe concentrate a little less on transforming it too much.  Nature will take the lead, the sun will lend her voice and the woods will be the stage.   I’ll be more stage manager than stage mother!   

No comments:

Post a Comment