Tuesday, December 9, 2014

From eagles to bluebirds, I've earned my wings!

Last week while walking my little dog around the yard,  I have to admit to being a little delighted upon discovering a tree had fallen during the night winds.  This old cherry tree, that sometimes produced fruit but often did not, gave it up and fell gently over.

Why was I delighted? You know it! I will be cutting a large branch off this tree and shoving it in a bucket for Christmas lights.  Happy.  I am happy about this old tree falling right on over when I needed it. I am sad about losing the old tree, don't get me wrong.

I was also delighted last week, while the dog was in the yard and I was fooling around closer to the house, to see two, yes two, bald eagles diving and fishing right out in front of the house, in plain view, at a relatively reasonable hour so that I could see it, soaring, dipping and circling.  And, some screeching of that highly identifiable eagle screech. No missing that call.

I was so excited, I ran in the house, tried to call my sister-in-law when I remembered her cell phone was on the front porch in a crock pot (don't ask, just accept).   Tried to call the house and the call would not complete.  Are you kidding?  Wanted to run over but drapes were drawn, which typically means she is not up or ready for company.  Aw, shoot, she missed it.

Later in the day, I walked over to tell her what she missed.  I was really excited when, standing in the kitchen, I looked out the window and the freaking eagle was just outside, high on a branch but fully visible.  We were like school girls who saw the latest TV star or something.  Giddiness.

You know, when I saw the eagles, and I couldn't get my sister-in-law on the phone, I wanted to yell "Does anyone see these eagles?" and "Am I the only one seeing these eagles!?".  Years ago, I claimed to see a turkey in the yard and I took no small amount of grief for announcing to my in-laws, who thought of me as a city girl, that there had been said turkey in the yard.  It was a joke for a couple years, until, lo, one of them saw a turkey in the yard.   Since that turkey sighting, and especially after claiming I saw it fly, (yes, WKRP, they do fly a little) I have earned a little bird cred.

As confident as I am when celebrating the sighting of something that is usually "not this far north" or "doesn't come into areas with this many trees" or whatever I have heard over the years, and proving otherwise, I try not to cartwheel when I see something like circling eagles dive bombing the lake in front of my patch of paradise.   I try to keep it together as there is a chance, that even with my bird cred, I am mistaken.

But, golly, did you SEE those eagles?









No comments:

Post a Comment