Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Timber!

One step closer to building the shed as we laid out where it will sit and hubs began clearing the way, which included cutting up a lot of wood from a huge maple that succumbed in a storm a couple years ago, and felling the remaining snag.  

Now, I have written before about hubs being a little accident prone.  I cannot begin to explain how nervous I was as he walked through the wooded area, looking every bit like someone who knew what they were doing, towards that tree,  his chain saw spitting out smoke as he revved it’s little engine.  I stood on the deck, camera in hand, thinking about all the funniest home video clips I have seen over the years and praying I would not capture film documentation of my husband’s injury or demise.  Why do they always have video? Why would I?
Tree felling is not high on our list of experiences.  Oh, we’ve cut up many a fallen tree but we don’t make them fall.  Before he got started, I walked around the tree, imagining what damage it would do if it fell the wrong way…our house, the swing set, electrical lines, many other trees.  Well, I thought, all that can be replaced, but, please don’t fall on hubs.

I have to say, he did an amazing job.  The tree fell exactly where he wanted it to fall.  It was a loud few minutes of sawing, followed by the thundering thud as it hit the earth and damaged not one branch of any other tree.  I know this was more luck than skill, but, was so proud of the perfect positioning of the tree that I allowed hubs to gloat and puff up just a bit, telling him he was quite the outdoorsman ~ a real Daniel Boone.
Next step is taking out some undergrowth and clearing away for the foundation for the shed.  We decided on size and design and I almost have to pinch myself.  He doesn’t know the cuteness I have planned for that shed, as he sees it only as its function.   He gave me a quizzical look when I mentioned the shed needs to include a little front porch, but shrugged and added it to the plan he was drawing.  Oh, hubs, wait til we get to the gypsy wagon…

No comments:

Post a Comment