Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Late summer slump

I am in a slump.  No interest in cooking dinner.  No interest in going to the grocery store to get items I may need to actually cook dinner.  Oh, I make lists.  I hang them on the fridge but I am really hoping someone else stops by to have a look at it and run to the store.  I haven’t been able to muster up any desire for cooking of late.  I even glance through magazines with pretty food pictures and think “Huh.  That looks yummy”.  But, skip over the ingredients list, ‘cause I am not interested. 

Now, since I am the party in the house that cooks dinner this is a bit inconvenient for hubs.  I have slowly been introducing the idea of sandwiches at dinner.  Rueben, grilled ham and cheese, BLT,  Italian beef and even Philly Cheese.  I have a jar of Cheese Whiz in the fridge right now, as a matter of fact, to make Philly Cheese steak.  He’s good with those.  Hamburgers and hot dogs..yes.  I can even stretch it out to tacos.  But, there aren’t any left overs with sandwiches and even if there are, that means lunch sandwiches AND dinner sandwiches?  That just doesn’t seem fair, does it?  Doesn’t a hard-working guy like my hubs deserve something other than a sandwich twice a day?
But, I’m in a slump.  Summer starting to glance over her shoulder to introduce autumn as she walks in isn't helping.  My mind is going to potato soup, chili and a nice hearty stew, served with crusty bread and soft butter.  But, I can’t do that now…if I do those in August, I’ll be in a soup slump in November.   

I am pretty sure I'll get through it.  I will continue to serve up some special sandwiches till after Labor Day and begin the switch to soup.  Hubs may have to start buying his lunch rather than depend on me for the piles of meat loaf and mashed potatoes I have provided in the past.  I'll stock up on cream of mushroom soup so there's always a possibility of a casserole, his favorite leftover, on the horizon.  Noodles, rice and yes, even those little bags of instant mashed potatoes will line my pantry.  I'll begin thinking about a roast in the crock pot every once in a while. I will go ahead and get some potatoes, too.  Maybe get some cream, and I think I am out of sherry. Maybe a special pasta for a nice, rustic, Italian main dish...and oh yes, bread. I better make a list as I am headed to the store later.   

Hey, I just might pull out of this yet. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment