Tuesday, February 2, 2016

A perfect little friend in the kitchen.

I have made a product recommendation in this blog a few times over the years…the big yellow bowl, the nested green strainers, the red spatula.  I believe in each of these things and use them every day. 

While preparing dinner last night I felt a wave of affection for my paring knife.  Chicago Cutlery circa 1977 and may have been a gift from my mother-in-law who had a few favorites of her own. This paring/boning knife is their smaller version – super skinny 3" steel blade that runs down into the wood handle.  This little beauty if perfectly balanced, is sharp as it can be and well, just an all-around great paring knife. I understand it is still made, the Walnut Tradition 102S.  If you don't have one, consider one...or gift one. 
My fondest memory of this paring knife is dinner at my in-laws on Sunday.  She would set out a big bowl, and I mean big, of lettuce and many small bowls.  On the top of the lettuce would be a full cucumber, a tomato and nearby, this Chicago Cutlery paring knife.  If you wanted either or both of those extra items in your salad, it was up to you to take care of it.  There were also several varieties of salad dressing on the table.  Just short of a stampede, this would happen about 20 minutes, before dinner was ready.  This was so different than the way my own mother would set out salad, in little bowls and set at your place at the table.  It took me by surprise the first time, as we leisurely went about our salads, in front of the TV, or out on the porch, gathering up the bowls as we finished and ready for the main meal.  I loved those days. 
The paring knife played a vital role in the coming together of the salad as there would be knife wielders of all skill levels.  Some sliced, some diced, but the trick was to leave enough for everyone who might want some cucumber, some tomato.  You couldn’t be haphazard as these were like the fishes and loaves and had to feed a multitude.  A sharp knife was needed so the slices and cubes were reasonable, not chunks. 
As we get ready to start the Grand Remodeling Project, including updating cabinets, I have started to think about the things I will be changing and considering things to replace or give up.  I held that sharp little knife in my hand and thought there may be 10 knives in my existing kitchen that I can do without, but not you, my little friend.  You will always have a home here. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment