Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Blessed? Oh yeah.

Took a bit of an adventure this week to the Home Show in Indianapolis.  Walked around, looked at some ideas for countertops and the like and listened to an HGTV celeb present on yard renovation.  Had a great time, fun with a special niece and got to see some of my kids and grandkids, her college daughter and boyfriend and had a nice dinner.  Headed home the next morning after making a couple stops at some favorite stores, and missing my turn, twice.
 
My niece received a text from her hubs that a skating party was being held at my house, three o’clock and see you there.  She looked at me, I looked at her..what?  My hubs making chili, her hubs making guacamole and clearing the ice and what?  How could this be happening? How did we lose control over party planning?
We weren’t going to be home until three o’clock!  My brain whirled around the condition of my bathrooms and kitchen when I left the day before … okay, they were in good shape.  Hubs was at work until noon, how was this going to happen? How was he making chili? Who was coming? What was needed? Should I make a phone call?
I decided against making a phone call and just crossed my fingers that these two men had everything under control.  They love people getting together as much as we do, and the fact that the skating was built in, well, they were super happy.
I walked in to a clean kitchen, no mess from the chili prep which simmered in my grandmother’s roaster, enough to feed an army, on the stove.  Check.  A quick review of the bathrooms and they were also in good shape.  Check.   Bowls, spoons, napkins…check.  Looked out the window to see the two men, shovels in hand clearing the ice into a nice rectangle, perfect for the hockey they envisioned. Who is coming? Less than 20, more than 10.  We got this.
The frozen lake was near perfect ice, the bonfire was slow to start but soon was in full flame. The full moon rose over the lake while in the opposing sky the sunset created blazing pink.   It was about the best winter day one could ask for.   It was magical.
Sunday brought a bit of cleaning up and some ibuprofen for the creaking hubs ~ then a text “Hey, we’re coming out to skate again today…heads up” 
Round 2.  Yes, please!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment