Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Chunk that.

Last week I wrote a little about organizing some stuff that has been accumulating around in my closet for quite a while.  It was followed up by a recommendation from one of the readers, who happens to also be my daughter, on a blog post several of her friends were following about a 40 bags in 40 days regimen, which happens to be timed with Lent.  Rather than looking at organizing the whole house, it breaks down the organizing by room.  Keep it, throw it out or donate it.  Do it and walk away.  A handy schedule was posted as a suggestion by the writer and listed some space as simple as Bathroom Vanity, and I thought this made sense.  She got that area done, by golly and bravo.  A small thing perhaps but something I don’t get to as often as I should.  

Back in the day, we use to call this chunking and it was a business buzz phrase as well.  Chunk it up into smaller projects, be satisfied with what you accomplished by chunks rather than beating yourself up over what you did not get done, resulting in getting more done.   It’s been a while since I thought about this method, but, I believe it to be a fairly solid practice.  There are so many times I put things off because I feel I can’t get it done, so I am right…I don’t get it done.  You know the saying you get what you expect? My point is, if I had chunked it, I would have at least gotten started and accomplished something! If I considered Night Stands, for example, instead of Bedroom as the goal, it is more manageable, and at least the Night Stands would be clean.  In the 40 bags method, having a garbage bag with you at all times is KEY, as well as some cleaning supplies.  I admit I am no good at taking cleaning supplies around with me, and seldom have a garbage bag, which means I am holding what I need to throw away in my hand, and don’t have a free hand to use that cleaning supply even if I did bring it along. 
Last year, when hubs started working on the basement space, I was promised shelves for storing some big items from the kitchen that are seldom used, and for some seasonal items.  He built big shelves, impressive shelves, and my plan was to make sure items were placed in clear totes so that I could see and retrieve what I needed easily.  The problem is, the shelves have been taken up by items he wished to organize as well and my shelf space never really materialized. I have a few things down there, the beach towels in a tote, for example, but my section of shelves? Not so much. 

This weekend, however, we made progress.  Some items were cleared from the shelves so I might be able to get some of the storage after all, but we also added two additional shelves in the laundry room and chunked that small room.  I vowed never to buy paper towels at Costco again.  I probably will buy toilet paper at Costco, however.  Just sayin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment