Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Lessons in a closet.

Over the last year I have performed a brutal, cutthroat clearing of my closet and donated piles of nearly-new, gently-worn and, in some cases, unworn clothing.  When I go in to the closet I am stunned there are still so many items there because I feel like I have practically cleared it.  The shoes alone are mind boggling, and what remains of the hanging “office” clothes could stock a store.  Especially in black, from my most recent job.  When I was working full-time years ago, I remember proudly wearing something different to work every day in December in red, for the holidays you see. 

I ventured in to my closet this morning in search of a particular article of clothing.  While there I discovered two pairs of new “yoga” pants that I had given up on finding on previous excursions.  Always the last place you look, as the saying goes.  I felt I must have accidentally donated those pants, and yet, here they were, stuck at the end of the closet rod, near my husband’s suits. I still must own way too much, was my first thought, if I couldn’t find these pants for six months.  But, yippee!
I do own a lot, but too much? How does one gauge too much?  I could wear something different every day for two weeks maybe.  Is that too much? I do have many different versions of the same “uniform”, the same long sleeve t-shirt in different colors and neck styles, also available in short sleeve, the same cardigan-type sweater in a few colors and lets not forget the knit yoga pants.  I typically will swap out the yoga pants for jeans if I leave the house.  I have two pairs of jeans for just this purpose. But, this wardrobe has replaced my work wardrobe.  

When I worked outside the home I had much more.  Many skirts, many slacks and jackets.  Those have all been donated and I hope are in circulation for someone who needed a pretty nice skirt for work or an interview.  I have cleaned out my side of the closet many times, and I am looking forward to doing so again this week, as I saw many items in there that I no longer need.   I have talked with husband a few times about his many shirts and the need to purge.  Someone could use those, I argue, if you aren’t wearing any longer.  I’m gutsy, but I won’t decide for him. 
I still wish I had that black lace skirt I went on a hunt for this morning…the one I wore to my daughter’s wedding in 2008 and never since…but I also recognize we do have much, and it hit me in the face this morning as I looked at my clothes and shoes.  Everything from food on the table and clean water to drink, to too many clothes ~ a warm house, a healthy family, cars to drive, friends and places to visit.  Lessons are everywhere, aren’t they? Even in closets, teachings are heard.  I am grateful this December day for all I have received.  I close out 2015 with a listening, joy-filled and grateful heart.         

No comments:

Post a Comment