Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Girls just wanna have fun!

When my daughters were younger, college age, I tried to visit them on the campus of their university to see something musical.  We’ve also been to musical movies over the years.  I enjoy them, hubs doesn’t particularly, and it’s a good excuse to have girls time. 

This past weekend was our time…a trip to Nutcracker in Chicago.  We have been the previous two years as well, but, in Indianapolis.  Once to Butler University and one performed by the same ballet school my little granddaughter attends, which is a developmental school as they have levels up to “pre-professional”.  Last year the Snow Queen was my granddaughter’s teacher, so that was extra special for her to see.  We saw a spectacular performance this weekend at the Auditorium in Chicago, by the Joffrey.  The building alone is priceless and worth seeing, but the dancers? Oh my.  A special part in this performance was, and I hope you are familiar enough with the Nutcracker to recognize this, a small child in a wheelchair was part of the party scene in the beginning.  That little guy was excited and fantastic in his "crowd scene" role. For my daughter, who enjoys working with children with special needs, seeing him included, and keeping time with the music, and truly beaming, was a joy.
My granddaughter is not quite old enough to audition for a role in the Nutcracker in her studio but I think it’s coming soon.  That will likely change the “girls” time to “family” time, as Grandpas, Daddy, brother, uncles, cousins…they will all be invited.  It will be fun; it will be different.  

I won’t be giving up my girl’s time, however.  I will be searching for a new musical, a new play, concert or movie to attend or a new wine bar or restaurant to try.  I cherish these times…they really help us stay connected, gets the girls out of their “normal” roles. We like to dress up a bit and make it a celebration.   I’ve said it before, I love my son, my sons-in-law, and I love being with all of them, any of them…they bring a different energy, however.  Not a bad one, just different.  My girls are wives, sisters, aunts when we are all together.  When it’s just girls, it’s just that.  If my daughter-in-law were in town, she’d be included, too…I love her. 
Be watching for us.  As our family grows there may be more girls to add but for now, me and my two girls, and sometimes the granddaughters, is like heaven to me, and I hope it is for them, too.   

No comments:

Post a Comment