Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Revisit.

This winter is already a drag.  Brown and gray, boring and gloomy.  It’s not even truly “winter” yet as we haven’t arrived at that solstice, that magical day on the December calendar and I’m wishing for spring.  I’ve got a long row to hoe as they say. 

Which, gets me to wondering ~ what sayings will be out of fashion in another 10 years? Facetime me? I already talk to kids about something from an old TV show and they look at me, perplexed, smile through mumbled “I have no idea what you are talking about”.  No one is better at this than my 4 year-old grandson, who has a way of saying “I do not know.” that is at once mature and hysterical.  His second best saying is “Sure.” which he provides as a regular response instead of yes.  Spending time with him always reveals a unique side to his character and his curiosity.  He asked me several times over the weekend “Did you know I am not three anymore, but I am four?” Why yes, yes I did.  I was at that Chuck E. Cheese party. 
When my kids were little, my son, who is dark haired and dark eyed and his not quite a brother, slightly younger, blonde and blue eyed cousin were best friends.  My two grandsons are a repeat of this dynamic and I love watching them together, hear them negotiate, even if it does sometimes come to referee responsibilities just like 30 years ago.  I had to pull the “Hey! I just saw Santa looking in the window!” on the younger grandson, who wiped his face, looked surprised and quizzical as to how that could possibly be, but I’m his GiGi so it must be true.  I love that trick.  Although I never felt it as a mother, as his grandmother, I was moved by his sorrowful expression, his wiping his tears with his fat little hands, smearing and sniffling and checking my face to make sure I meant it.  If a grandmother’s heart could melt, that would have done it.   Those boys warm me to my toes, just like 30 years ago.

Now that I have had the time to think about it, I guess this isn’t such a gloomy time.  I have presents to purchase, wrap, bake, cook, stir.  My son and his wife are due in a few days from Seattle and my family will be all in one place for a brief and beautiful time.  There will be laughter and drama, no doubt, acceptance and excitement.  I’ll say something outdated and dumb, causing my daughters to shake their heads.  My grandkids will giggle, run and “tussle”.  My husband will undoubtedly do something wrong in the kitchen. 
This isn’t such a bad time, after all.  The joy of December cannot be found in the color of the ground, when there isn’t snow, or the sky, when there isn’t sun, but there is joy in December, for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment