Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Meloncholiday

It won’t come as a surprise to anyone, as I am sure you feel the same, but, I want my family together all the time. Always.  I woke up to a great day a few mornings ago when my three kids, their lovely spouses and all my grandchildren were in one spot, at one time, all at my table and all happy.   It happens rarely since son and his bride are many states away, but, even when living closer, it is hard to get them all here at once. 

So I relished my day and a half but only after a little melt-down first.  My emotions ran away with me for a 10-minute episode or so, completely out of the blue and overwhelming.  Something was said, can’t even tell you what, and it set me into a bit of a spin, excusing myself to sit alone in my bedroom for a bit.  Talking to myself (sure, I do it) to get over it.  I did not want to lose this day to THAT, whatever it was ~ I think we will call it Meloncholiday. 
Memories flooded my ol’ grey head…my kids as children, me as a child, my parents, my granddaughter’s first Christmas, little boys under Christmas trees with delight in their eyes, one dressed his first year in Elf pajamas and looking as sweet as could be, my nephew calling every Christmas morning to talk with my son, even though they would see each other in a half-hour.   There were also hopes for the future that raced through my mind as we anticipated a big reveal of our 2016 grandchild’s gender, too.   A new baby in the spring, building a small addition to our home, planning and remodeling, landscaping thoughts.   Will we travel, too? Will we enjoy continued good health? Will the kids visit? When will they see each other again?

So, it overtook me for a second.  Hearing the Seattle couple discuss the rest of their week and knowing that I wouldn’t be a part of it, that they won’t be a part of our week, and then they’ll be gone again.  It was tough on this old bird but, by heaven, I was not going to sit on my bed and cry away the afternoon.  Snap out of it, go enjoy your family, I said sternly to myself.  Blow your nose.  Meloncholiday is not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment