Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Magic.

Last night was like many nights when I woke up having fallen asleep on the couch and then unable to get back to sleep.  Sometimes it takes watching something dumb on television to lull me back to sleep, sometimes it is working on the computer or just reading some fluff.  So, I found myself mindlessly deciding on something to do to “get tired” enough to stumble into the bedroom, try not to wake hubs, and go back to sleep.
 
Last night, I reviewed pictures from my trip to Disney with grandkids, particularly when the oldest grandgirl, now seven, visited the “salon” at Disney and was transformed into a princess for the day.  Well, she already was a princess, but, they helped her prove it.
From the moment she entered the dressing room and saw her gown laid out under a bright spotlight until her little pink clad feet hit the street walking up to the palace, and then the rest of the week, was a magical time for her, and for me.  I looked through those pictures and was taken back to that day, one of the best days of her life so far and certainly one of the best days for me.

I have another princess now, a new grandgirl, who will get her day at the castle, too.  Not sure when that will happen but I do know, it WILL happen.  It’s funny as I know not everyone feels the Magic Kingdom is a necessity for childhood, and I guess that is true.  Certainly many kids survive quite nicely without that experience, but, boy, there is nothing like it. Too expensive? Certainly.  Kind of lame? At times.   But, I am telling you, there is nothing like it.

I have a goal, a dream, to get all the grandkids to Disney at one time, with me there.  I want that joy, that excitement, that craziness, the tired grumpiness and the sticky gumminess, too.  I want to see their little faces and see that world through their eyes and their smiles, oh my, their smiles.

Tears were all over my face as I reviewed those pictures in the wee hours of the morning.  How can a then four-year-old turn a cranky old lady into a sniveling blob at three in the morning? Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment