Tuesday, April 5, 2016

No worries, it goes on the list.

Finished out last week with special visitors – two of the grandkids were here for their “spring break”.  It was a big treat for us, a big help to their folks and, at least I think, big fun for them.  Last year, along with their cousin, they started calling our house Camp GiGi at PaPa Lake, even have a little song to sing about it and we love it!

We have some work to finish on the shed we built late last summer.  There is a second coat of paint on the gable ends, a ramp to build to the double doors, trim work to go up and I may be winning the discussion on a gutter and downspout.  Or, at least a rain chain.  We started a bit of the landscaping that’s needed, but because we also need to tear out the deck and landscaping on two sides of the house we’re stealing materials from there.  Moving landscaping timber is also exposing the roots of the azalea that is to be moved and my twisted Harry Lauder bush.  So, the list grows and grows, the weather remains chilly and wet, and I want to begin on the house! But, I need to focus on the shed and moving those plants.
   
The moon garden awaits clearing of the fall and winter leaves and debris, and a protective coat on Esmerelda.  I tried last year and chose the wrong product so I am giving it another go this year before she moves out onto her throne, which is a stump.  She wintered in the shed so she should be nice and dry and maybe in better spirit to accept the protective layer, or at least I hope.  I noticed a nice clump of beautiful bright white Hellebore that I will divide, to move some to the moon garden. There's a lot of clean-up to be done in that area,  the winter was pretty rough on the trees over there.  

The fairy garden is underway, but, through landscaping a bit around the shed, we decided on a different spot for it and will move the old bird bath that is to be its home.  When the 4-year-old asked if we were buying gnomes or fairies to put in the garden his sister responded “No, because we want real ones to visit!”  The grandkids left before we could really get going, but, we are closer, and have all the supplies. My 7-year old-granddaughter, excited over using rocks from the driveway as little stepping stones in the fairy garden, drew out a map for their placement.  Ran up to me, even though she was sent on a different task, map in hand, with a very excited voice and a face full of anticipation, “I have an idea…”

The lake is waking up for the summer and our project list is long, and growing.  It’s going to bring a fair amount of craziness to our days.  The gloom of winter and early spring is lifting but the bright days of summer are not yet here.  Sunny days are a treat at this point and certainly not every day.  I hear there is even a threat of snow for tomorrow, for example, and I noted a fine coat of ice at the lakeshore on my morning walk.

Don’t rush, don’t rush, my beating heart tells me, but oh, the list, the list…

No comments:

Post a Comment