Wednesday, May 25, 2016

My moon garden, Part 2.

A moon garden is not necessarily only white plants.  Mine is, primarily, because that’s what I envisioned. I like how white plants seem to absorb the light of the day and then glow, particularly at the “golden hour” of sunset, but also at night, under a bright moon.   Night blooming plants can also be considered relatively standard for a moon garden.  I have not gotten that far to include night bloomers specifically in my space, but may down the road. 

Our woods serve as a buffer between our home and an increasingly busy road, no longer “country” but not a thoroughfare. It’s not a huge space, even though I make it sound as if it is ~ it’s less than an acre of woods.  The area where the moon garden lies is not isolated, not too far off the main path of the bridge going nowhere, visible in part, but almost secretive, mysterious even.  I do want it to be inviting, but also a surprise.  For me, I know it’s there, for someone else, they would have to discover it. 

I have plans for my moon garden, still in the early stages.  I am debating stepping stones to provide a suggested route to the bench that is placed there.  I want just a hint of a path, just a tease.  I have trees to take out and more limbs to remove and I am coaxing a tree bent by the winter’s snow to continue to bend, to provide a backdrop and give structure for a tiny climbing hydrangea I have moved to the base.  I would love there to be water but don’t see how that will be added without more maintenance than I care to do, but you never know.  

My senses are stirred in the moon garden, which is also a goal.  Sight, as I try to make a small, cohesive and inviting area.  Sound, as nature brings a chorus ~ bees, birds, breeze in the branches, and a gentle, tinkling wind chime.  Touch, as the cool concrete that invites a visitor to sit is softened by the carpet of leaves, pine needles and earth, and of course, smell, as the plants and trees release their fragrance.  Add a cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine in the evening and the moon garden completes the senses with taste.

It’s a meditative place, a calming place ~ it wants you to stay for a moment.  A moon garden, or any garden really, should want from you, as you may want from it.  It should want your attention, your appreciation and it will take your stress, lift your spirit, calm your spirit.  A garden invites you, yes, but it also expects you and waits for you.   



My moon garden.




No comments:

Post a Comment