Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Moon Garden 1

I have had a few questions on my moon garden so this post will get into the planning a bit more deeply, which is post 1 out of 2! Yikes!

First, a bit of background information.  When wedding celebrations for our nephew and his wife were underway, more than 20 years ago, a family friend of the bride hosted a ladies luncheon.  It was lovely, and just a nice, sweet way for some of her closest friends, who were bridesmaids, and family, to take a bit of time with her before her life changed forever.  I actually hosted a similar luncheon for another nephew’s bride a few years later as it made such an impact on me as such a sweet event.  The hostess had a lovely well-appointed home, and lovely gardens.  There was a gazebo and to one side she introduced me to the idea of a moon garden, explaining that all the plants were predominately white, or light, silvery, airy.  It was small and beautiful, peaceful.

I began a bit of research and discovered that I likely did not have the right conditions for a moon garden as I have so much shade.  The lakeside is not as shady, but, we leave that pretty open for play! I put the idea of a moon garden aside, who was I kidding? I knew nothing about plants and gardening anyway. 

A few years ago, the idea came back to the surface.  I know more about plants and gardening now, and the internet makes it pretty easy to research and find plants that will work with the conditions I have.  I lost a big tree or two in the woods and light filters in a differently than it did years ago.  Besides, the moon garden doesn’t have to be all plants and flowers but statuary and sculpture, ornaments.  I already had the sculpture, my son-in-law’s art project, which is a partial replication of Venus de Milo without arms, whom I call Esmerelda.   I had a tree stump that makes a nice base for her and relocated her there last year.   
 
Being somewhat a clod, I thought “Oh, white plants and a sculpture” and I’d be done.  However, after reading a bit,  I wanted to be more deliberate in my choices and in preparing the area. As I began to think about the garden differently I expanded the small circular area in the woods that had become Esmerelda’s home.   I like her there, she is a little surprise as you walk down the path and over the bridge.  The storm in February brought down many limbs, the light opened up a bit more after the utility company cleared some of the easement and topped a few trees.  It almost seems like the space picked itself.

As I thought about plants I realized I had many white flowering plants already so it wouldn’t be a huge investment to get pretty well underway.  I had quite a few green and white hosta that could be split, I ordered a stunning neon bright lemon yellow hosta, purchased a white azalea locally as well as a silver leafed brunnera called Jack Frost, and a white bleeding heart.  I divided and moved white astilbe, white hellebores, transplanted white daffodils and lily of the valley. I have the start to a pretty decent moon garden! More information and pictures next week! I’m excited to share it with you!    

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! Looking forward to chapter 2...and maybe a moon garden for me...

    ReplyDelete