Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Honing in on home.

It is on like Donkey Kong around here and I am having the time of my life! We are so into the design/renovation phase of our home; we have conversation almost daily about a decision we need to make and are making them.  I spent a good hour at the fireplace shop, a couple hours today with the kitchen designer and shopped Amish country for a cabinet.

So there is a thing about the Amish.  A lot of people think of them as “very religious” and that isn’t exactly true it seems.  I understand they are a community, a sect, but as far as being super strict religiously, well, I guess that depends on your definition.  And the rules seem to be a bit loose.  Yesterday, while driving home from the local Amish community, I saw a young man, riding his bike to wherever, and texting on his cell phone.  Yeah, that was quite a sight…hunched over the handlebars, occasionally looking up to make sure he was still on the side of the road and texting away.  This was coupled by the little boys in traditional dress riding in the back of a horse-drawn wagon wearing their reflective sunglasses.  They were everywhere ~ wool hats and shiny sunglasses.  But, I mean, that's cool. The sun IS bright and we should protect our eyes.  It was just kind of, well, incongruous.  Anyway, hubs tells me they are about the most profane, and seemingly aggressive, of all his lumber customers, too.  Food for thought everyone…things are not always what they seem, right?

But, they do assemble some nice furniture and I was very into trying to find just the right cabinet as I drug myself from shop to shop, pausing ever so lightly over tons of lace, lots of Christmas and candles, candles, candles.   Never did find the “one” cabinet for my beverage station but I am pretty sure I will.  I have months to go before this is all over and done so I can be patient, and diligent.
 
The kitchen designer and I are at an impasse. I know that’s not her fault and reluctantly admit to it being mine, but, I want what I want.  I think.  So, we have to have a new measurement session scheduled and a repricing of some items and a look at the location of the island.  Since its taken a bit of time for me to even get to this point and be sure about the windows in the living room and the location of the fireplace and confident about some furniture choices, I can work with new measurements and suggestions, knowing I will be confident about the kitchen decisions, too.  We have a house and trim color, we have a plan for the front porch, the windows and the sliding patio door are ordered and we are in negotiation (that’s a joke, people) regarding the size of the deck and walkway.   I have a lot to do, and am really having fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment