Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Stay busy, keep moving!

These have been a glorious few days, from steaming hot, making the lake recreation fun, fun, fun and some beautiful sunsets shared with loved ones…to cool and breezy making the yard work easier.  I am a happy to be able to enjoy both the sun and the shade!

We are gearing up for the 4th of July and trying to prepare the house and yard for an almost camp type atmosphere.   We LOVE having everyone here, and we love them just wandering, sitting, relaxing for a few hours.  The day changes from games, food and water to conversations, fire and fireworks.  Planning is easy as we just go with what we did last year and turn everyone lose! They seem to manage pretty well!

We have begun preparing for the renovation of our home, but, received good news from our contractor who feels he can do much of the work from above and won’t need to have as much demolition as we thought.  So we aren’t tearing off as much drywall and making that whole mess ~ although there will still be plenty.  I also met with the kitchen designer here at the house which was beneficial to both of us.  I am glad she got to see our space as it’s special, and small.  Now she has a better idea of what we’re working with and what kind of feeling I am going for.  I am really looking forward to having it done but, in all honesty, that’s WEEKS away.

Because we are at a bit of a delay and the weather is so great, I have gone back outside to move some plants and create more garden areas.  After I posted about the moon garden I spoke with a lovely friend who created her own moon garden.  She and I were discussing what else I had in mind.  I mentioned that I have Mildred, for my mom, and a pretty little bird feeder statue that reminds me of my mother-in-law, Jean, nearby.  My dad always loved growing roses.  I don’t have a great spot for roses, and I have a LOT to learn about them, but she suggested a small rose garden in a sunny location honoring my father.  I like it.  I’ll be keeping an eye on my yard for the best location for a small planting of some roses as well as some other reminders of both he and my father-in-law.

Last weekend, we volunteered at a golf outing for the Play for Jake Foundation on an absolutely beautiful Saturday.   It was hot, and sunny and breezy, and the golf course looked amazing.  This organization was created after our community lost a great young man to sudden cardiac arrest, the result of an undetected heart condition.  The organization’s founder, Jake’s mom Julie, has made it her life mission to raise awareness and to bring free heart screenings to children in our community through the foundation.  The golf outing is one way the foundation raises money to facilitate those screenings.  Find more information here:  playforjake where you can also donate, if you choose.

Whatever you decide to do today, make it a great day, a memorable day! Enjoy your holiday, enjoy your family and friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment