Saturday, October 7, 2017

One big, happy dinner.

It’s Saturday and not the typical blog day for me, and this is not a typical post.
   
This was a rough week.  I could barely drag myself off the couch on Monday.  I found myself sleeping when I couldn’t take any more.  Hubs got a salad and warmed up soup for dinner, and a leftover applesauce cup. I ate nothing.  I struggled on Monday.  Hard.

On Tuesday, I slapped myself out of it.  I rallied.  I will not succumb to terror, I will not.  I will speak out on gun control, and I have opinion on the current administration that goes beyond party.  However,  I still will not use this blog for those things, other than those statements above. Can we disagree and still wish love and joy for each other? I believe we can, and I guess we’ll find out.

A week ago, my house was filled with my favorite things ~ all three of my kids, their spouses and all five of my grandchildren.    I could not have been happier than if you had sprinkled me with pixie dust.  I was beyond pleased.  There was a wonderful big family wedding, at a barn, a handsome groom and a gorgeous bride, with everybody. I think only one or two – okay, maybe three -  unable to be there on Saturday but the rest of us were in that barn, celebrating the wedding, and celebrating each other. We were one happy, dancing, loving, singing crowd of a family, let me tell you.  I love weddings, I really do.  It’s like having everyone over for dinner at one time.
 
Last Saturday and Sunday morning were perfect for us.  We laughed, and we loved. I watched little boys swing and heard their giggles, I talked nonsense with a two-year old grandgirl and marveled at the grace and poise of an eight-year old.  I love watching my girls mother their children…and my sons-in-law are princes among men.  My endearing, intelligent and independent daughter-in-law loves my boy, who brings nothing but joy to me, quirky joy, but joy all the same, and displays his roots.  Sitting around a fire with my family on a chilly Sunday morning, after a rollicking Saturday night…I wish it could always be so.  I also know it would not be as special if it happened every day, even every weekend, but I sure would like to give that a try!

Saying goodbye to the travelers never gets easy.  We vowed to make our circle tight, to keep in touch, to visit.  We hugged, we waved and blew kisses.  These are the days that make us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment