Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Big things with little people.

These last few days have been some of “those” days.  The best days.  Unexpected, celebratory, family centered days.  Thanksgiving week treated us well.  It also was the week of a grandson’s 6th birthday.  Six is a big deal to a child.  Turning six is important.
  
As we did last year, we spent the day following Thanksgiving in downtown Indianapolis in a hotel with our grandchildren, leaving only the 19 month-old at home with his parents this year. While we had a great time last year, and got a better hotel deal, we needed a bit more space this time and chose Homewood Suites.  Our soon-to-be three-year-old granddaughter was experiencing this treat for the first time and did really well, being the last to fall asleep and only nearly drowning Papa once during our swim time.  We only had one major spill at breakfast, which is a win in anyone’s book.
 
We started the stay with pizza in the hotel suite with everyone before we muscled our way through the crowd to Monument Circle on Friday evening, just as the lights were going to be turned on.  Our daughter and son-in-law both work downtown and their buildings had been opened to families for viewing the festivities.  We sat in the warm offices of our son-in-law’s employer and looked out over the crowded street to the circle while he made hot chocolate for the kids.  People looked up and saw our little group, they waved, we waved.  I only felt a little like I was in one of those big battle scenes in an arena before the lion comes out.  It was a little surreal.  

I didn’t fight the lines at stores for Black Friday deals, or even turn my phone on for the alerts from retailers throughout the day as to their deals ending soon.  I enjoyed my family time, loved on my grandbabies, reveled in their conversation with each other as they fought sleep and whisper talked into the late night, while I eavesdropped.  Those little, bright boys, so much like their daddies…I thought my heart might explode.  My almost nine-year-old ballerina granddaughter with a rare, free weekend before the Nutcracker performances, allowed her to be with us.  Awake an hour before the littlest grandgirl, she waited patiently for her to wake up, circling her bed and just barely touching her hair, willing her to open her eyes so they could have “hotel breakfast” which was declared as a favorite, delighted to go in her pajamas. 
   
Husband and I returned home on Saturday afternoon, leaving shortly after the kids were picked up from the hotel, and I won’t deny sleeping almost the entire 2 ½ hour drive back. I came home to the computer and a chance to do some online shopping and get some great bargains, some “just right” gifts.  I have revisited our Thanksgiving weekend a hundred times, at least, thought deeply about family and how grateful I am for mine.  I am blessed beyond measure, for sure.  

facebook.cindiswindowlakeliving

No comments:

Post a Comment