Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Journal journey.

In my quest to live intentionally, act with intent, do what I intend…all that, I have been focusing on getting better organized.  I found myself kind of just floating though my days, sometimes getting done what I wanted and sometimes, well, you know,  la-de-dah…

A step I have taken to become better organized is to use a journal.  I reviewed a bunch of different sites (a rabbit hole to be sure), sat through a webinar, ordered a journal and tried to figure out if my life is busy enough these days to even bother with journaling/scheduling/task-list making.  I’ve discovered it actually is and thinking that it wasn’t is exactly where I went wrong in my intent to be better organized.

Does that make sense? Stay with me, I’ll go a bit deeper.

Like all of you, I have things I need to get done…every day, every week, every other week, every month; just like you.  I realize lately that there are things I was not paying much attention to, just sort of la-de-dahing them.  Minor things such as dusting regularly to bigger things such as having routine maintenance done on the car, even on myself.  I mean none of this is life threatening but it still is not something you should just let go, right?

So around my birthday in October, when I “take stock” of my year and begin to think about what I want my next year to look like, I determined to be intentional in all things.  As previously written, if Joy was my word for 2017, then Intent would be my word, my goal, moving in to 2018.  The second of January or so I realized I was woefully out of sync with intent  and is when I started a new “bullet journal”.  (I have mentioned this previously and linked to a site where, if interested, you can learn more, but, here is the link again bulletjournal.com) In my new journal, I made lists, I have charts, I have plans, menus, recipes, ideas, goals both personal and financial.  I have a page or two of word dumps. Huh? Don't worry, I will get into that in another post.
   
I began to experiment with the journal, messing up a few times.  Scratching things off a couple of times or rearranging the format more than a couple of times.  I even ripped out a page and that’s a no no in journaling.  But, I have begun getting more accustomed to looking at the journal’s calendar every day.  (I do need reminders after all, and while I like my phone, I don’t use the calendar there ~ just can’t get into it).  I have also gotten better at taking time for myself every day.  Now, I get it.  You may be saying to yourself, but, you are retired.  Isn’t all your time for yourself? No, no its not.  And even though I am with just myself a lot does not mean I am accomplishing things FOR myself.  And this is another topic I will post about in a separate entry.  For my male readers ~ don't think this won't be for you, too.  Stick with me... journaling may work for all of us.   





No comments:

Post a Comment