Wednesday, February 28, 2018

I hurry, hurry to get things done...


"Autumn arrives in early morning, but spring at the close of a winter day."~Elizabeth Bowen

I am so ready for spring.  So ready.  Yesterday a sign as a flock of sandhill cranes flew over head with their unmistakable call.  I ran to the door, to step out onto the porch, looked up to see their formation overhead against a clear blue sky.  My heart sang. 

I look out the window now at a clear day…and oh so much brown and grey yet.  The landscaping this year is going to be a challenge, and a chore.  There is so much to do! I am excited by it and feeling slightly overwhelmed.  I did my usual January/February perusal of some gardening sites, made a list of plants, thought about pots and planters.  Walked around the yard to begin a list of the areas to concentrate…can I just put down “four sides of the house”?

We just returned from a short vacation, business related, to Jamaica.  To see bright colors, hear moving water…glorious.  Inspiring even and that may be why I am feeling it so much today…that itch to get outside and get started.  I hold myself back on these “Fooled ya!” early springlike days to keep from digging into the dirt but oh, I plan.

I hope to surround the house in color this year.  There will be loads of dirt and rock to contend with but also plants and flowers.  I am starting completely over in the moon garden area as the soil there needs a bit more help, and well, we’ve lost a couple trees over the winter which is going to change the sunlight and I hope will give me a couple more options for planting.  This area is really important to me, however, so its made its way back to number one, may two,  on my list. I’m also going to be using a “dry creek bed” design for one of the downspout areas and have, oh maybe 50 pictures saved on Pinterest.  Hubs keeps reminding me he has to drive the lawn tractor through this area so not to get carried away.
 
Late winter always brings yard clean-up as the first activity..sticks, sticks and more sticks. The deer have been active in our yard this winter and leave their proof everywhere.  Raking, burning and more sticks.  Hubs and I started the perusal of the yard, the listing of the many projects we still have yet to finish and even had to call in a downed tree on the power lines yesterday.  More wood to cut up.  On top of the more routine annual projects we still have the deck railing and stairs to build. 2018 is going to busy it seems!  But, yet, it was gentle and warm enough before the sun went down last evening for us to sit down by the lake, watch the full moon rise and look out to a single, playful loon.  Nice to slow it down, 2018. Nice. 

facebook.com/cindiswindowlakeliving/

No comments:

Post a Comment