Tuesday, March 20, 2018

More color, more color.


It seems to be a slow start to spring, doesn’t it? I mean it just won’t kick in.  Today is a good example…it is sunny but boy is it cold.  Another 10 or 15 degrees would make all the difference!

Last week, I went out looking for unique items to place in flower beds or pots.  The stores are filling up with all the usual stuff but I want the unusual. Something fun, colorful but not cheap looking.   I have spent hours on sites like Pinterest looking at ideas, saving pins, trying to locate items featured, or something close that catches my eye.  This week I begin rehab of the moon garden, starting with the soil.  I think there is one plant in that area that I can salvage, maybe two.
 
We spent several days away from home again this week to attend some events with grandchildren.  The highlights were a talent show and a six-year old’s birthday party.  I mean, it can’t get much better.  The kids are so funny, so much fun. Now, I think we will be spending several weekends at home as we finish up some projects around the house to get ready for summer, although I am sure I will squeak out a visit to grandkids even if I go alone.
 
Even though it is just now spring, talk of summer creeps into our conversations.  Summer comes fast and the “big” events require some planning! In going out and about I came across a huge display of 4th of July decorations already, and the Easter grass isn’t even off the shelves yet!  For some reason, this doesn’t’ bother me as much as Christmas decorations shoving out Halloween costumes.  4th of July is different for me this year, too, with a mantle and two new porches to decorate!

And speaking of mantles, I can’t tell you how much fun I had with Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day and doing just a touch of something different on the mantle.  Nothing huge, just a swap out of a couple of little things but brought me much joy.  I’m setting out a bit of Easter today.  I am sure hubs thinks I am about the silliest. So, yes,  I am starting to think about getting the screen porch finished, the deck railing, busting out 4th of July decorations and having a yard and house full of friends and family. A girl can dream.

Today, however, I am bundling up a bit, throwing on some work gloves and heading out to work some compost into the moon garden area.  It needs help people.  I largely ignored this area last year while working on the house and I am being punished for it now.  Give me a few weeks, however, and she’ll be back! I have new pots on order, as I think to feel more success here I will have to use planters and pots, with some good potting soil, and a fun piece of garden statuary tucked away for just this spot! I moved an azalea here last year, and trusting she made it through the winter, it will be a nice, new anchor for this spot.  It is pink not white so I have decided to run with it and use a bit of pink, along with the lavender and silver already there, and declare it Lady Esmerelda’s Prime Pastel Garden and Water Respite.  Just kidding.  I just call it the moon garden, but with more color.






No comments:

Post a Comment