Wednesday, July 11, 2018

The post 4th wind down.

Yesterday was an absolutely beautiful day; it followed one of the best 4th of July weekends (extended) ever…two events were held here at what we lovingly call the “compound”.  First, we hosted the annual family 4th, with friends, fireworks, food, family.  Now it was hot and humid but cooled off for the rest of the week.  On Saturday, the property boasted a festive look for a graduation party for our nephew.  The weather that day was unbelievable, truly, and we had a great day.  His parents did all the work and we just relaxed and attended the party.  (They are the nephew and niece building next door, but their house is just started.)

Sunday was clean-up the yard, remove the tables and chairs, tents, games and décor, took a boat ride with swimming, followed up with saying good bye to family.   Yesterday I did nothing.  Not a thing.  I was bone tired. An evening boat ride, a late invite to have leftovers and ice cream before bed. We deserved that.  But, today is back at it.
  
So, its early on a Tuesday, I’ve checked my email, checked Facebook, responded to a couple things, looked at my budget, started a grocery list, folded some laundry and the beach towels, and committed to two hours outside weeding flowers and believe it or not, I still have a couple plants to get into pots or the ground. I was outside for an hour, lugging water and weed snips all around the yard when the humidity struck. After almost none for three or four days and some beautiful, breezy weather, the return of the humidity at 8:00 a.m. was a bit of a surprise.  While I did get everything watered the weed snipping will have to wait for a bit.  As sweat rolled down my face and off my chin I wondered what the heck was I doing and a return to nothing quickly took over my schedule. I may get some things done later today, like maybe I will go to the grocery store since I have put that off for about a week, even with the parties and house guests.
 
I used to not mind the grocery store, now, it’s not my favorite thing to do.  I try to use a menu and a list, so I can minimize the strolling the aisles, but I am again in a rut with what to prepare for dinner.  It is sometimes good that hubs will eat anything and doesn’t complain over sandwiches for dinner much ~ as long as there are “real” meals every couple of days.  He understands it’s boring, hot, boring and planning dinners for 40+ years has lost its sheen. Add to that I don’t have as much as an appetite as he has, and things can get pretty lean around here.  I can’t pass up a good charcuterie board though and could make a dinner from one without batting an eye.  He is not a big cheese fan and even so, that’s a snack not dinner in his eyes.

I can also get by with a bowl of cereal for dinner…and not gonna lie, this morning I had cherry pie for breakfast.   


No comments:

Post a Comment