Friday, August 3, 2018

Is it really almost over?


Summer is busy. I have been away from posting to the blog over the last couple of weeks. As we continue to work on landscaping around the house I am bone tired some days.  We have hosted a few cook-outs and get-togethers, and I held my annual Camp GiGi with four of the five grandchildren, the youngest just not quite ready to join in.  My goodness how they are growing, though. 

Having the grands around is always a lot of fun. I try to allow them very little “screen time” and more outside time, but, even I have to give in to a little TV or video games during dinner prep or wind down time. My nine-year-old granddaughter became fascinated with a game show about baking, so I figured there was not much harm to that. She would watch it on her tablet on Netflix with my three-year-old granddaughter squeezed in next to her, her dark brown head nestled on the blonde’s shoulder.  We were “on” for those days.  I was anxious for husband to come in from work as, just like he was when our kids were little, he brought fun, game ideas, rough-housing, boating…we all love it when PaPa comes rolling in. 

I have totally ignored the moon garden which was big on my to-do list for this year. I mean, I did some initial things, but other projects took over my time and interest.  I so want to get in there and improve the soil, trim some tree branches to allow a little more light.  I need to figure out a way to discourage those woodland creatures from visiting. There’s lots of space up there, surely they can share. 

I surprised even myself this year and used more orange in my flowers than I have ever done.  I just obtained a really pretty orangey, coral pink azalea for use by the house.  Just waiting on a landscape timber to get her in the ground.  Since our house is a totally different color than it was before the remodeling I have discovered I really like the orange tones against the grayish green.  Let’s face it, orange is a happy color!

We are entering those dog days of August…hot, humid on some days with lazy, long afternoons. The shadows are changing in the yard and the lake activity dies down more and more each day.  Soon the school buses will be rattling down the road, stopping to pick up little ones lined up along the street in their shiny new clothes and oversized backpacks.


No comments:

Post a Comment