Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Facing it. Literally.


So, I am facing the truth about getting older.  It happens, better than the alternative, all that aside,my skin has taken a dramatic turn (okay, semi-dramatic). It’s bumpy and scratchy and what the heck?

I think its my fault.  I am not a moisturizer.  I am not even a cleanser.  I have never had a skin care routine and, well, it is beginning to show.  My mom did her routine every night with Ponds Cold Cream, sometimes Noxema, and Oil of Olay which she then progressed to Loreal Night Cream and on to Estee Lauder.   Her skin looked good beyond the time she was no longer able to care for herself, I assume because she had taken care of it for years. So you think I would know better.
   
That is not my truth I’m afraid.  I should have been paying more attention in my 30’s, 40’s and 50’s.  Heck, maybe even my 20’s.  I was a lucky teenager with out many skin problems and well, I just haven’t done a good job at incorporating skin care into my life.  Now it seems like that may be showing on my face.
 
It’s not surprising that I am no good at skin care routines.  I am not good at scheduled stuff it seems…I never had spaghetti every Wednesday, nor Taco Tuesday.  I don’t eat fish on Friday and well, an apple a day skipped me by.  I am not good at taking my blood pressure at home or using a glucometer to monitor my blood sugar, neglect to water my plants and God knows I have not been a successful dieter. Exercise? Forget it.  I sleep late, am rarely on time and well, forget appointments.

Years ago I saw Andie McDowell on the Tonight show and she reported that her mom advised her to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize and not to forget her neck and décolletage and of course, to stay away from the sun.  So, I have tried to teach my girls this important routine, without practicing it myself, and found myself even saying it to my nine-year-old granddaughter this week.  This summer I have spent more time in the sun without sunscreen than ever before and I think my face is showing it.  Is 63 too late to start a serious skin care routine, do you think?

I stopped at Walgreens yesterday and stocked up on a couple Olay products and some cleanser.  I am going to give this a whirl as when I brushed my hand across my cheek over the weekend and it literally dragged across, I thought “Oh heck no…we will not have this”.  So, exfoliate, cleanse, moisturize and protect is my new mantra.  Please tell me I look fabulous next time you see me…I could use a boost. 


facebook.com/cindiswindowlakeliving

No comments:

Post a Comment