Monday, March 28, 2011

Kitties and bunnies

I know you were all thinking “Go, Cindi, Go!” last week when I thought I might begin tackling some yard work.  You also are probably not surprised to hear it didn’t happen.  Its 30 degrees outside for crying out loud!  Those little tree limbs are just gonna have to wait. 
So right outside my office window is a huge, and I mean gigantic huge, rhododendron bush.  Heck, its not a bush; it is a housing development.  We are geared to take it down this year as it is just taking over.  Its been here for a very long time.  In fact, this bush gave birth to a bush my sister-in-law removed two or three years ago from next door...because IT had gotten too big, if that gives you an idea.  The bush is done for as far as I am concerned. 
There is a problem, however.  Aside from the birdies just loving it, it is shelter to bunnies..but also some feral cats.  I am just positive that one or two of them must be expecting babies by now and more than likely will give birth inside that bush.   This creates an issue.  
If you are curious, yes, these cats stayed outside all winter and where? I have no idea if not in that bush.  My sister-in-law does occasionally set out a bowl of food and I have also seen a mysterious quilt draped over a bench on the deck next door, making a suspicious “lean to”.  However, they primarily stayed, well, I guess outside, all winter. 
I have no idea where these cats came from as one day they were just here.  I originally thought they came from a new family that moved in to the old priest’s house on the corner.  But, I no longer think that’s the case and may just be a coincidence, but there are at least six of them, and just today I noticed a new one -  a small black cat that appears a bit younger than the rest.  Now what? 

1 comment:

  1. Ahh... outdoor cats.... Not to worry.... Not to be concerned... we have had outside cats for 29 years and they do fine. The first winter we put a bunch of old towels/blankets in an insulated box and they would have none of it. So, now we just feed them 1/2 portion of good food and let them eat the mice in the barn and around the exterior of our house. So, cut away, my dear, the critters will find a new house... maybe the junior bush next door!

    ReplyDelete