Sunday, March 6, 2011

You know those moments that visit when we are vulnerable? Moments that grab you by the shoulders, shake you, spin you and send you forward? I had one this week - a moment of sheer clarity.  It was about my age. 
Age. Ugh. I have sort of passed through the last ten years and not been all that acknowledging of my age, and of aging.  I think that may be because hubs doesn’t change.  He looks so much the same as he has always looked to me.  I probably look at him more than I look in the mirror so it was easy to not acknowledge my own age.  I’ve had an AARP card for a long time, but that’s because HE got one...mine was a bonus. 
The other day, however, I was completing a form online for an automobile insurance quote and there it was...that age category selection. I hovered around the 45 to 54 choice for a long, long, time before accepting I couldn’t select that group.  There it was, hands on my shoulders.  A moment in time when I heard a whisper in my head “You aren’t in that group. You are older.  Check the next group. You are older” 
Reluctantly, I selected the next group.  55 to 64.  Are you serious? 55 to 64?  Okay, well, take a deep breath.   You are in the same group as retirees.  Okay.  You might get some discounts. This could be good, I said to myself.  It means  you aren’t in that high risk category of those whipper snapping 45 year olds.  This is a positive, right? This is a better rate! You’ve driven longer, you are experienced, YOU, Cindi, are in the wise group, the contributors, the tried and tested drivers.   Yes!  55 to 64,  check and double check.   
Shake me, spin me.  I’m 56.  What the heck happened to 55?  

2 comments:

  1. remember when we thought 45 was old?? It sounds so YOUNG now

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete