Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Wow.

Sunday night I, along with all of you, received news.  By now everyone knows that Obama announced the capture and death of Osama.  I felt my heart quicken and know an audible gasp escaped my lips when the interruption came through on a favorite evening broadcast.  I really can not reconcile all the thoughts that continue to race through my mind, and well, the days ahead will tell the story and the future of this great nation begins anew.  
I thought our President delivered the news with class and confidence.  I think of the times that I have tried to keep a secret and how difficult it is!   I get so excited, emotional or exasperated I feel I might pop.  How was this kept a secret? How did Mr. Obama go about his business, even a party? That’s nerves of steel, my friends. 
So many brave young people, so much time.  I am not an overtly political person and there is so much we don’t know about the last 10 years or the 100 years that preceded.  I wish I had kept an email that was sent to a co-worker of mine from her son-in-law who was serving in Iraq shortly after September 11.  The picture attachment is something I will never forget, as the smiling young soldier stood by a downed billboard.  On one half of the billboard was a crude representation, almost a cartoon,  of planes flying into two towers, with flames shooting out windows.  On the other half,  a caricature of Saddam Hussein, laughing.  I have felt, since that email first crossed my desk, that it is all much more closely tied together than a lot of us realize.  I am not a student of the Middle East nor do I keep as well informed as I should on these matters.  I have no idea if Saddam and Osama ever met, ever had lunch.  But I feel they applauded and encouraged each other and their hatred made them brothers, buddies, compatriots, pals.  I feel no loss for either of these men.   
That being said, I don’t feel like I can go to a parade over it, but I don’t mind if others do.  I don’t think I can fully put my thoughts altogether in one place as I am as conflicted on this issue and how to react as I have ever been.  On the other hand, I am as proud of the President, the military and their special abilities as any American could be.  Boo-rah, ya’ll.  Do not mistake my inner conflict with my patriotism, please! 

No comments:

Post a Comment