Monday, November 14, 2011

My review of WEN

I told you all that I was trying a new “infomercial” shampoo. A few weeks ago I ordered WEN cleanser by Chaz Dean from QVC. The promise is that it will make your hair different – better different. So, I thought, what the heck? I’ll try it.

First, it is not cheap. Far from cheap. You can sometimes stumble upon a QVC special and it will be slightly discounted or available on what they call “Easy Pay” which breaks it down into 3 or so payments. I am a HUGE fan of Easy Pay. Anyway, it is expensive for the difference.

Is there a difference? It is really kind of hard to tell. I can say that my hair behaves really well. It blows dry like a dream and is super easy to style. It is soft. It is shiny. It has quite a bit of body. It is not growing any new hair in, but that wasn’t one of the promises! Durn. Anyway, I could maybe get this same result if I was using other products but I have to say, it may be subtle, but, I do think my hair seems better. The other thing is that my scalp feels better. Sometimes it felt quite dry, and itchy, so I like that it feels better.

Another plus is that my hair now holds the style all day. I don’t touch my hair from the time I dry it until maybe bedtime…if then. That’s also new. My hair is pretty fine and even with “product” in my hair, would be pretty flat at the end of the day for sure but often after just a couple hours.

Now for the shocker. I am not one for a face washing routine, so this next benefit is a good one for me…I wash my face with it, including taking off any left-over mascara, when the cleanser is still in my hands from doing my hair. There is no sting, it rinses off cleanly and no mascara left.

The deal is, there isn’t any detergent in the WEN system…it’s really not “shampoo” as is a cream cleanser. It does feel quite a bit like conditioner and it doesn’t lather. It takes a LOT and then a LOT of rinsing, but I have been able to dial it way back , since I have been using it for several weeks. If you do not use enough, do not rinse enough, you are not going to enjoy the product!  I also, on most days, don’t cleanse twice. I can’t imagine how much faster I would go through a large bottle if I had long hair and cleansed twice.

Daughter #1 tried the cleanser while visiting, and didn’t think there was a change. She was easy on the amount she used. Now, she is one that has not spent a lot of time fussing with her hair over the years…a wash and wear gal. Aside from blow drying, and hitting her hair with the straightener to get it smooth, she’s not investing in hair. She’s got great hair, which is quickly changing color as she is in her child bearing years. I would love to encourage her to try the cleanser for an extended period but I know her…she’s too frugal. She is so funny. Wears the same clear mascara I introduced her to in her early teen years because she has black eyelashes so what’s the point? That’s my girl. I do wonder if it would restore her natural color though, which is one of the benefits discussed in the presentation of the product.

Daughter #2 is using the cleanser – I shared mine with her. She likes her hair products and I thought this might be just the thing for her. I haven’t gotten a good sense of how she feels about it yet and she just cut her long hair back to her more favored short style. I am not sure short styles show the impact of the benefits as much as long, but her hair looks great.

My final verdict is if you enjoy a good, quality cleanse of your hair, leaving it soft, easy to style and shiny, then you should think about trying WEN. You have to commit to it and be ready to invest some shocking funds. Okay, that’s not quite true but it is expensive. If you are a hair girl, though, and can let go of lather, it’s great. If your hair isn’t a big deal to you, like you think “Eh, baby shampoo works.” or something along those lines, you might be disappointed in the cost versus the benefit.

3 comments:

  1. Well, you KNOW me, I LOVE this post. And OF COURSE I've tried WEN. I bet I'm the only one of your "followers" that can really say they relate to this post. ha.
    Well, my friend, now you're talking my language. :)
    I bought it not long after my accident. Spent too many hours in front of the t.v. and they got me, are you kidding, Chaz got me. I ended up sending mine back. As the weeks went on, and my showers were so infrequent, the no lather just started getting to me. I mean, I only got a shower maybe once a week, if that, and when I did, I let the water run on me for a long time. getting in and out of the shower took a very special friend to help me. So....(wow, I think I'm in the mood to blog, because i'm starting to give you a post). In the end, I was broke, and could not justify it. And realized that laying in bed didn't matter too much of how my hair worked. If I ever get back in a better $$$$ I'm going to go for it again. :) You make me smile, at 3:40 a.m. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like it, for what its worth. And, as far as restoring MY hair to its natural color, when I cut my hair, everyone asked if I colored it darker as well, and the first few times I thought it looked darker, so its possible?

    I feel like I could and should probably stick to normal products because of the price, in my current situation, but who turns down a free trial from their mommy?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now, both of you are fantastic to respond to this post! Chelsea, stick with it...we'll talk. Carolyn. Boy. I understand! I truly do and I hope you will soon be back on the WEN wagon! My hair today looked FABULOUS if I do say so myself...and I did not touch it all day! I may have even gasped at one point when I passed a mirror!

    ReplyDelete