Wednesday, November 9, 2011

We have a newly elected young mayor in my small town.  She brings an incredible resume, a generous heart, a big smile and a determination that is infectious.  During her campaign, she has energized believers and challenged prejudices.  She won her race with dignity and brought people into the arena that have not previously participated. She facilitated the weaving of those people into the fiber of a political cloth made up of the “same old, same old” to give new life to some pretty worn out duds.  
I went to the party last night for this newly elected bright star and arrived just in time to hear her declared the winner, the finish line crossed.  She was surrounded by those who believe in her, who trust her, who converted to her.  As a young woman who has some friends in some very high places, she was present in a group of high school friends, both old and new, who campaigned with vigor, and she was equally present in the center of the party patriarchs.    
But, to me, the one who observes, I watched her dad tear up as he hugged his girl.  Her mom beamed with pride...they didn’t know for the longest time that I was even there...which made it perfect for me.  (I tried to find her mom just after arriving but have you ever been a short person, looking for a short person, in a crowded room?) Those moments will be forever in my memory.  I watched her older brother, who holds a forever place in my heart, give her a victory high five and then, and this is it folks, step back, pull her to him and kiss her on the cheek.  It warmed me to my very center.   
One last thing... I have dipped my toe into the murkiness of political waters, holding the beach towel as others frolicked.  It was definitely fringe involvement, but it was fun last night to catch eyes as people passed me, no doubt wondering why I was there, who I was or what I had in mind.  To see the “Who is that?” question cross their face, as they were sure they knew me from somewhere, cracked me up.   To those of you who know me well, you have to know I took pleasure in those awkward, uncomfortable moments.  Being at a political event is much like being in a lunchroom at high school, you have to eat, but where do you sit? 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my dear one, I'm not sure what is my favorite about this post. The fact that Blair one this race, which is absolutely divine, the imagery, the tender moments you speak, or the writing. I would have to say absolutely without a doubt it is the WRITING of which I love. You have such a gift. A gift with words, the ability to transport someone who knows nothing about this story, and make them feel as if they are in the room. Yes LaPorte gained an amazing Mayor, but LaPorte also has the gift of you. I love this piece.

    ReplyDelete