Monday, November 28, 2011

To do or do not

Last year at this time, I had no idea of the joys I had ahead.  Baby grandboy born last week, the second daughter expecting her first in the spring and my son and his lovely girlfriend have announced they will wed!  This, my friends, was quite the Thanksgiving! 
I am watching out my window this morning and boy, its taking a turn out there.  Things are getting that gray, cold, fuzzy look and the trees are bare.  While I know what’s ahead, I can’t help but take in this day and be distracted for a time.   
There are things I should be doing.   I hear myself say “I’ll do that later” throughout the day.  While that is fine, there is a slight problem in delaying housework and things can really get more unpleasant, can’t they?   Although I have tried for over 30 years, this house won’t care for itself. 
My second problem is, I am married to a do-er.  He knows things that need to be done and just does them.  He plans his day and makes a mental “to do” and tackles it.  I usually have no idea what that plan is, but, he gets up busy and crashes in his recliner, and up to the moment his eyes close,  busy.  We have this unspoken agreement and he clears off the dinner dishes.  He doesn’t do them, mind you, but he clears it all away.   
I go to the couch and select what we will spend the next hour watching on television.  Sometimes, it has already been selected and is underway as we do have our favorite shows and some of them are disturbing in the mediocrity, to be honest.   It’s only an hour because he will be asleep in his chair within that hour.  My hubs has always amazed me in that he can walk in to a room and within five seconds be totally engrossed in a show.  He does not like political shows or debates about the economy, so we stay away from CNN.  But, it also amazes me how quickly he can be asleep in that chair. 
Here’s another thing about the hubs and television.  He can remember actresses from commercials or bit parts fifteen years ago.  “What’s she been on?” is a recurring question.  Then, within moments he’ll pull out some obscure show or commercial.  Notice I said actresses.  He never asks about males.  Never.  I pointed this out to him last week; he denies.  Of course, now on his list is to notice an actor from eons ago so he can ask me where we have seen him before.

No comments:

Post a Comment