Monday, May 7, 2012

Where'd it go?


You know I am a frustrated gardener, right?  It takes so much time, energy and money to have some great flower beds and I have not a spare of any of those.  Here’s the thing, though...where does my time go? And if my time has taken a hike, what the heck happened to my energy? Money? Well, if I had any, I might be able to tell you where it is.  
I saw a commercial the other day regarding, oh, I don’t know, life insurance maybe.  This woman explains that retirement doesn’t mean stop living.  Now, I’m not retired but her story was she retired on a Friday and on Monday was in class, learning how to be a massage therapist.  She’s now working as a massage therapist.  Isn’t that something? Fantastic, really. 
Where do people find it? The ability to be so motivated at an “advanced” age? Is it something we are born with? Learn? Earn? Get bequeathed, like Aunt Ethel’s lace doily collection? Why can one person be so moved to be moving, changing, evolving and others, eh, just, eh? 
I work with some great women.  Motivated, high energy.  All over 50, some over 60 and they are dynamos.  I can’t figure out how I got mixed up with them on some days, on other days, I’m trying to figure out if I want to be.  I am trying to learn from them...get on that bandwagon and do more.  I feel like I use to do a lot and now, eh.  
I think I use to see women such as these women as those who had something to prove, who couldn’t be happy unless they were achieving something, something to point at to say “See?”.  But I don’t feel that way any more.  I think women such as these, and now I know many in their 20s, in their 30s and 40s...not just their 50s and 60s, who just chose to live it to the fullest. Who get ideas and run with them, and why not? Why should they stop?   Maybe they are more motivated because they have allowed themselves to be; they listen, they respond, they do.  
Would one of you come over and do my flower beds? How about the closets I have yet to finish from last week? A massage? Are any of you learning massage? 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. It gave me a sense of affirmation that I"m not crazy for starting a brand new life at age 56. OH,,,I feel the tug that which you speak. The one that just wants to stay home, be comfortable, and enjoy the "older we get" age. But, ha, I don't have a home so I have no choice...lol.
    there is such a fine line between enjoying the grandkids, and then realizing we got a lot of good living yet to do. Blessings on your journey as you are sounding like Cindy is starting to "REV" it up a bit.
    Love you, always love your insight and your honesty

    ReplyDelete