Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Ah, the midwest

A few months ago hubs turned 60.  He’s a good 60, I am happy to say.  It’s a big deal but he is not one to like a lot of hoopla.  I wanted to do something pretty special and just around the right time, a coupon offer came across my email that was just the right thing. 

After some schedule changes and some of the family not being able to attend, we made it in to Chicago over the weekend to embark on one of the sight-seeing boats to travel the Chicago River on the architectural tour.
The weather was perfect and the tour the same.  If you get a chance to go, do it.  It’s informative,  fun and entertaining.   The guides are well rehearsed and probably have some theatre background.  Ours, a lovely young woman named Ali, talked the entire 75 minutes.  She was good, and I imagine they all are.   She didn’t break stride as my 3 year old granddaughter performed the Dance of the Seven Veils or something with a scarf belonging to her aunt ~ pretty much at Ali's feet.  I’m sure not all the boat passengers were amused but I also know some of them were charmed, and Ali just kept right on. 

A long walk down Michigan Avenue, some ice cream and a welcome train ride back to Indiana completed our excursion.  We decided not to eat in the city on this trip as we had the grandchildren with us and instead picked up some favorite food to go once we got home and enjoyed the remainder of our day around our own dining room table.   Hubs and I have decided we’re going back to do it again and eat a great meal following the boat ride.  A real date. 
The day that followed brought an impromptu trip to the apple orchard, some great laughs, great pictures and, I hope, great memories.  Get  out there and enjoy it, friends!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a perfect celebration! Sixty didn't hurt so bad, did it Chris? (I should know...)

    ReplyDelete