Monday, February 2, 2015

Snow appetite

Like a lot of the country, I am not particularly a fan of the National Football League or it’s players.  Oh, there are some good ones, I’m sure, but the greed and the gluttony of professional football has caused some of the luster to tarnish for me.  I love high school sports, and I like college sports but the NFL is not something I appreciate. 

However, I like the Super Bowl in some aspects…the commercials are fun, the half time is usually a top notch performance and well, there’s the commercials.  That’s not really enough to make up for the amount of time you need to invest in actually watching the game so you have to have food, friends and family. 
This weekend we were blasted with mega inches of snow which prevented us from plowing out through our drifted shut driveway to a dear nephew’s home to enjoy the game.  We knew pretty early in the day that we would be hunkered down in our tight little house.  Keep in mind this is me, hubs and the little dog. It was a long day.
When there are long, snowy days like yesterday and there’s no chance I’m going anywhere, I do begin to feel slightly trapped.  Hubs paces, and whistles and as much as I love the guy, and I do, a pacing whistler is not a joy when you feel trapped in a small house already.  It was a beautiful snow but it was raw outside. The little dog wanted nothing to do with going out in it either,  probably feeling a little more on edge than usual, considering she couldn’t figure out what all the whistling was for. 
My usual solution to this kind of day is to eat.  I mean, eat whatever I can find to eat.  I practiced quite a lot of restraint but found myself planning what I would eat next ALL day.  I had gathered ingredients to make mini Rueben sandwiches for the party we would not attend so I knew those would be making an appearance.  But, a quick perusal of the fridge also revealed the ingredients for biscuits and gravy, popcorn, cheese and crackers, humus, fruit, vegetables, Girl Scout Cookies, potato soup, beer, wine, bread.  An all-diggity-dang-dong-day eating fest was about to unfold. 
I fought, and somewhat won, and did not empty the pantry and fridge.  I calmed myself down, ate somewhat reasonably and occupied my day with HGTV and house remodeling plans. I did make biscuits and gravy for a nice breakfast and was able to prepare just popcorn for an afternoon snack.  The mini sandwiches appeared at dinner alongside some delicious potato soup.  Cooking smells hung heavy in the closed up house all day and into the night and I cannot wait to open a window!
Snow days are great but I am glad this storm appears to be short lived.  While I don’t think I’ll get out today, hubs was able to drive to work and reported the road crews had done a fantastic job.  In a few days we will leave for our warm weather vacation.  I’ll spend a bit of time today with the handsome twins of HGTV and think paint colors for my bathroom refresh, and put another sketch down on paper to present to hubs when he gets home as to a new kitchen layout.  Nothing can make a man whistle like listening to remodeling ideas and paint colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment