Monday, January 26, 2015

"Oh these times are going through some changes, seems like I'm going outta my mind, yeah"

You know, I am a firm believer in if you don’t like your situation, change it ~ only you can.   

I live in a small, Midwestern town.  Like a lot of smaller towns, there’s a certain amount of upgrading that needs to happen and it’s not the life for everyone.  We have a fair share of the national problems that are cursing towns everywhere.  Petty crime, drugs, stupidity, unemployment or under-employment ~ all of it.   
The thing is we also have parks, lakes, playgrounds, historic buildings, schools, teachers, green space, flowers…so much.  Also, apparently, not for everyone.

Late last week it was being volleyed around Facebook that one of our main access routes was closed by police.  There had been a robbery attempt and witnesses reported the allegedly armed robber had run into a house.  Someone posted, from a bigger city two hours south of ours, what was going on because they had their news on, or were watching posts on a “big city” newspaper feed.  Their comment “How do I know what’s going on in YOUR town and YOU don’t”.  Valid point.
Forget this person was watching the news, had a scanner, was watching a more technologically current newspaper site, or keeping up with it on Facebook…that doesn’t bother me.  What bothers me is the posting of one young woman who responded something along the lines of "not keeping up with what’s going on in this *$#* town"  and how she was highly inconvenienced as couldn’t take her regular route home. 

I really don’t care that this person was inconvenienced, nor do I particularly care that she felt her situation could best be described by the use of profanity, a trait I find less than classy or necessary in, oh, I don’t know, 99% of all situations.  However,  I try not to use my own measuring stick on other people.  
Hey, I said I try.

But seriously, change your situation if you don’t like it.  Or try, this…change you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment