Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Something new?

I don’t have a dilemma a week or anything but this week I am trying to resolve an issue.  Many of you may have something similar going on and well, let’s talk about it.
 
What do I do with my hair? I started going pretty grey about 15 years ago, and now, it’s full blow silver and that’s okay.  I don’t mind that.  I stopped coloring it when I had a particularly stressful period going on and the color became too much for my suddenly sensitive scalp.  So, going “natural” with it was the only answer at the time.  I also had hives a couple times during this period of my life so I was a piece of work, let me tell ya.

Anyway, I’ve gone back and forth between the same hair styles since then.  I cut it short, it looks real nice, it grows too fast and turns into sort of a “bob”. I cut it again, miss a hair appointment, it grows too fast, I’m back to the bob and in desperate need for a haircut.

That’s where I am this week.  I don’t know why but I failed to make a regular hair appointment at my last appointment.   Five weeks is about optimal and sometimes I can push it to six, if it’s a slow growth period like winter.  So I have a big vacation coming up and rather than try to squeeze two appointments in to 8 weeks, I’m pushing my haircut to about 7.   It may or may not drive me crazy before then. 

I decided since I was at this point, with my hair a bit longer, maybe I should switch it up and began doing some research online for a new style.  Now, you have to know that I am not in to hair products so much but, I am working on accepting a bit of mousse and hairspray.  They do help, I get it.  But, it’s still pretty straight and silver ~ man, my hair is definitely silver.  It’s thinner than it used to be and just a bit cranky at times. 
 
I tried page after page of looking at hairstyles, particularly what might be recommended for women of a certain age.  Of course, I want to be Emmy Lou Harris but I find I am more Helen Mirren. However, I still didn’t find a style that I wanted to try, outside of Emmy Lou’s beautiful “shag”. My hair, while long, is not quite as long as hers, and she’s gorgeous and tall. 
 
The first article I read suggested that women without long graceful necks should not go short.  I do not have a long neck, friends, accept this about me, and I have worn my hair short for most of my life.  Armed now with the crime of having no neck and wearing short hair,  I began believing my hair should be a bit longer, but slightly layered and accepted the written advice of one expert that no layer should be shorter than above eye level.   It is healthy, it is thinner but maybe I should keep it a bit longer.   Just when I was settling in on it and thinking about what my hair could be, and convincing myself I could adopt a new look, I read these words:
 
“Women of a certain age just look smarter with short hair.”

No comments:

Post a Comment