Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Another one bites the dust...

2015, huh? Alright, let’s go. 

Some of you may be wondering how I am doing with the diabetes thing.  It is not so much fun, actually, and I got a little big for my britches back in the fall and thought I could determine my own dosage of the medication I take.  Yes, I discovered, and was told, that I cannot ~ so I am trying to be a very good girl in order for my 2015 to be great.  This has proven to be a little difficult…I find it so very hard to be good.  I spent a little short week being really down about it and mad before kicking myself in the rear and getting back on with it.  Eeeeegads it is a pain. 
But, that’s not for today.  My goodness or lack thereof will be addressed later in the year, when I think about those things.  I’m like Scarlett O’Hara in that way…another day.
I have been giving much thought to planting and landscaping again.  There’s a reason for this envisioning…big trees have fallen over and bushes removed.  There is the one last year along the driveway, the big rhododendron we removed and last month, another gigantic “snag” fell over in the middle of the night and took out half of another tree with it.  This is not great ~ for one, we had to have the snag taken all the way down so it would not fall into the road. This happened a few days before Christmas and will deeply impact my budget for the next month. Not cool, tree.
Besides, this will change the feel of the woods for sure.  More light, yes, and it missed my transplanted rhododendron starts and my one good little dogwood I have along the road…all good news.  It also opens up some pretty good “dappled” sunlight.  I am pretty excited about the possibilities, really, but back in the back of my head, way back there, my anxious little self is asking a few questions. 
Which tree is going next? We have many pretty old and substantial trees and yes, some, like this last one, are dead but still standing.  At least for now.  Is this little house in danger of a big tree?  I have some friends who suffered some big tree damage in a storm a few years ago and I know it was difficult.  I don’t want big trees toppling over onto the house and there are a few that could. 
I am not going to think about it now, but I have a feeling it is catching up with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment